[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 8:22pm
 
COVID-19 - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 8:19pm
 
2020 Elections - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 8:11pm
 
How's the weather? - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 8:09pm
 
Trump - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 8:08pm
 
What are you reading now? - Red_Dragon - Sep 25, 2020 - 7:04pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - Antigone - Sep 25, 2020 - 4:45pm
 
KUDOS for BillG - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 25, 2020 - 3:36pm
 
Name My Band - Antigone - Sep 25, 2020 - 2:56pm
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - Red_Dragon - Sep 25, 2020 - 1:17pm
 
Counting with Pictures - pigtail - Sep 25, 2020 - 12:57pm
 
Integration of RP app with Apple Music playlists - BillG - Sep 25, 2020 - 12:14pm
 
Canada - westslope - Sep 25, 2020 - 12:03pm
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - westslope - Sep 25, 2020 - 11:51am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Sep 25, 2020 - 10:58am
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 10:15am
 
This is Odd, Gross and a good excuse to be late for work - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 10:08am
 
Amazing animals! - rhahl - Sep 25, 2020 - 8:11am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - Coaxial - Sep 25, 2020 - 6:31am
 
Drop the Puck! NHL Lockout Ends! - sunybuny - Sep 25, 2020 - 5:35am
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 24, 2020 - 7:35pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 24, 2020 - 4:32pm
 
Animal Resistance - R_P - Sep 24, 2020 - 4:13pm
 
Bluesound Sound Dropouts - BillG - Sep 24, 2020 - 12:02pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - pigtail - Sep 24, 2020 - 10:28am
 
Language - Ohmsen - Sep 24, 2020 - 10:12am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - miamizsun - Sep 24, 2020 - 5:59am
 
Film & Video Production - rgio - Sep 24, 2020 - 5:11am
 
Quotes: Your Favorite Comedians - Ohmsen - Sep 24, 2020 - 1:07am
 
Questions. - whatshisname - Sep 23, 2020 - 7:10pm
 
American Justice - Steely_D - Sep 23, 2020 - 6:09pm
 
Your favourite conspiracy theory? - R_P - Sep 23, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
*** PUNS *** ASTRONOMY - buddy - Sep 23, 2020 - 4:24pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - buddy - Sep 23, 2020 - 4:21pm
 
The Obituary Page - Ohmsen - Sep 23, 2020 - 10:56am
 
It's the economy stupid. - Red_Dragon - Sep 23, 2020 - 10:27am
 
how do you feel right now? - Steely_D - Sep 23, 2020 - 10:27am
 
WikiLeaks - Ohmsen - Sep 23, 2020 - 7:58am
 
Favorite Quotes - Coaxial - Sep 23, 2020 - 7:39am
 
Race in America - R_P - Sep 23, 2020 - 12:06am
 
The American Dream - kcar - Sep 22, 2020 - 11:49pm
 
Australia has Disappeared - haresfur - Sep 22, 2020 - 9:16pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 8:57pm
 
Evolution! - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 8:50pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 2:45pm
 
Brazil - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 1:57pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 22, 2020 - 7:49am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:29pm
 
Things I'd LIKE to find at my house. - Antigone - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:31pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Steely_D - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:13pm
 
RP Main Mix on TuneIn unavailable? - DianaLipka - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:56am
 
Best Song Comments. - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:37am
 
Trolls at RP - Steely_D - Sep 20, 2020 - 4:41pm
 
Facebook Tips - Ohmsen - Sep 20, 2020 - 2:37pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 12:34pm
 
Environment - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:56am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:15am
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2020 - 7:29am
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - miamizsun - Sep 20, 2020 - 6:46am
 
Republican Party - sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2020 - 6:14am
 
FLAC Streaming - gsbaronnier - Sep 20, 2020 - 3:24am
 
Anti-War - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 4:57pm
 
Immigration - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 2:17pm
 
TV shows you watch - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 19, 2020 - 12:57pm
 
China - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:07am
 
Thank you, Bug. - miamizsun - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:53am
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Private messages in a public forum - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:21am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:14am
 
Buddy's Haven - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 9:14am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 8:10am
 
Today in History - Ohmsen - Sep 18, 2020 - 5:26am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Hot Dog... it's Summer! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post to this Topic
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 12:40pm

 Coaxial wrote:

Smear a little butter and ketchup in there and I'm in.{#Hungry}
 

we gone need some hot sauce too

Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles eas
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 7:57am

 Proclivities wrote:
 
Smear a little butter and ketchup in there and I'm in.{#Hungry}
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 7:40am


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 12:42pm



if you grill a hot dog you have got to try the spiral cut method
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 4:29pm



 Proclivities wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 
It's funny how sophisticated we are now... when TV was black and white, we'd see a tree and accept it as green, and a thick steak as looking delicious. My friend growing up had a color TV... but the color control was super twitchy so David Brinkley was always either green or magenta... and the family was fine with that. Literally did not see a problem unless someone turned the saturation down to make it gray, then they'd be pissed because they had a color TV dammit, put the color back! I'm sure as you flipped thru the black and white magazine and saw this, those hot dogs frankfurts just looked amazing.

 
Yeah, that's true - since at least the late '60s print ads have become much more realistic and natural looking.  I have ten or so issues of Life magazine from 1939-41; I think I got them in a thrift store.  Anyhow, every few pages there is a duo-tone ad, and they do look remarkable by comparison to the rest of the magazine - but better suited for cars or clothing with today's eyes.  One issue (Sept.1940) is pretty much a glowing endorsement of Wendell Wilkie with thinly-veiled criticism of FDR, some have women in what may have been considered "risque" swimsuits for the time, one has a photo of Joseph Goebbels and Hermann Göring on the cover.  

 

A friend had a prized copy of the Time magazine cover with Stalin as man of the year. But he was in black and white, not red and white.

eta: my parents refused to get Life magazine which was a pity because of the great photojournalism but I now understand why they took that stand
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 12:19pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 
It's funny how sophisticated we are now... when TV was black and white, we'd see a tree and accept it as green, and a thick steak as looking delicious. My friend growing up had a color TV... but the color control was super twitchy so David Brinkley was always either green or magenta... and the family was fine with that. Literally did not see a problem unless someone turned the saturation down to make it gray, then they'd be pissed because they had a color TV dammit, put the color back! I'm sure as you flipped thru the black and white magazine and saw this, those hot dogs frankfurts just looked amazing.

 
Yeah, that's true - since at least the late '60s print ads have become much more realistic and natural looking.  I have ten or so issues of Life magazine from 1939-41; I think I got them in a thrift store.  Anyhow, every few pages there is a duo-tone ad, and they do look remarkable by comparison to the rest of the magazine - but better suited for cars or clothing with today's eyes.  One issue (Sept.1940) is pretty much a glowing endorsement of Wendell Wilkie with thinly-veiled criticism of FDR, some have women in what may have been considered "risque" swimsuits for the time, one has a photo of Joseph Goebbels and Hermann Göring on the cover.  

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:47am



 Proclivities wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


those tomatoes look like some sort of meat product to me

something loaf?
 
Yeah, they could be some sort of "sausage loaf" thing - it's hard to tell.  I couldn't find a larger scan of that ad and enlarging the image doesn't help much (click image to scrutinize further):

 

I see the fine print says "Frankfurts with Savory Tomatoes" so a stuffed tomato in case a stuffed pepper is too exciting I guess.

Swift was all about the funky accompaniments:

Edit: This one's peach halves with melon balls.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:44am



 Proclivities wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:

 
Sweet merciful jesus what are those slices on the platter?

And "frankfurts"? What? 

 

I think those are tomato or apple slices; I guess advertisers didn't realize until much later on that duo-tone printing for photos of foodstuffs rarely resulted in an appetizing look.  Yeah - "frankfurts"?  I thought that maybe in 1940 some people regionally called theme "frankfurts", but I found no evidence of that; even in Germany they were called "frankfurters".  That name must've just been Swift's marketing/branding idea.

 
It's funny how sophisticated we are now... when TV was black and white, we'd see a tree and accept it as green, and a thick steak as looking delicious. My friend growing up had a color TV... but the color control was super twitchy so David Brinkley was always either green or magenta... and the family was fine with that. Literally did not see a problem unless someone turned the saturation down to make it gray, then they'd be pissed because they had a color TV dammit, put the color back! I'm sure as you flipped thru the black and white magazine and saw this, those hot dogs frankfurts just looked amazing.

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:40am



 miamizsun wrote:


those tomatoes look like some sort of meat product to me

something loaf?
 
Yeah, they could be some sort of "sausage loaf" thing - it's hard to tell.  I couldn't find a larger scan of that ad and enlarging the image doesn't help much (click image to scrutinize further):

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:30am

 Proclivities wrote:
I think those are tomato slices; I guess advertisers didn't realize until much later on that duo-tone printing for photos of foodstuffs was rarely an appetizing look.  Yeah - "frankfurts"?  I thought that maybe in 1940 some people regionally called theme "frankfurts", but I found no evidence of that; even in Germany they were called "frankfurters".  That name must've just been Swift's marketing/branding idea.
 

those tomatoes look like some sort of meat product to me

something loaf?
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:24am



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:

 
Sweet merciful jesus what are those slices on the platter?

And "frankfurts"? What? 

 

I think those are tomato or apple slices; I guess advertisers didn't realize until much later on that duo-tone printing for photos of foodstuffs rarely resulted in an appetizing look.  Yeah - "frankfurts"?  I thought that maybe in 1940 some people regionally called theme "frankfurts", but I found no evidence of that; even in Germany they were called "frankfurters".  That name must've just been Swift's marketing/branding idea.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 10:43am



 Proclivities wrote:

 
Sweet merciful jesus what are those slices on the platter?

And "frankfurts"? What? 

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 8:51am


LowPhreak

LowPhreak Avatar

Location: Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murikka, Inc.
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 7:01pm

This is what Dirty Harry thinks about ketchup on hot dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz84GKxy7b0


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 1:55pm

 haresfur wrote:

We usually get our snags (aka sausages) still attached to each other with the intestine twisted between them.

 
That's how kielbasa or Italian sausage usually was sold by the local butchers when I was in NY.  It probably still would be if one goes to a butcher shop in most places I guess.  The Whole Foods I used to work in sold the ones they made locally that way too.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 1:44pm

 Proclivities wrote:
puppet franks
A recipe called "Puppet Franks," involving threading the wieners on a cord before cooking, offering scissors to the guests to "clip off" their wiener as you serve them on the hanger. From the Better Homes & Garden Barbecue Book 1959, pg 77.



 
We usually get our snags (aka sausages) still attached to each other with the intestine twisted between them.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 1:19pm

 Proclivities wrote:
puppet franks
A recipe called "Puppet Franks," involving threading the wieners on a cord before cooking, offering scissors to the guests to "clip off" their wiener as you serve them on the hanger. From the Better Homes & Garden Barbecue Book 1959, pg 77.



 
Dammit, I have a story to go along with this but stupid work, I was trying to multitask and wound up closing the window I was typing in. Maybe tonite I'll really embellish polish it instead of just slapping it out.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 12:11pm

puppet franks
A recipe called "Puppet Franks," involving threading the wieners on a cord before cooking, offering scissors to the guests to "clip off" their wiener as you serve them on the hanger. From the Better Homes & Garden Barbecue Book 1959, pg 77.


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 31, 2012 - 12:14pm

condiment
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Aug 10, 2012 - 7:39am

Yes, I've seen it! It's in my bellah!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next