[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Aug 8, 2022 - 2:55am
 
Portishead S. O. S. - geoff_morphini - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:43pm
 
Wordle - daily game - geoff_morphini - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:42pm
 
Things that make you happy - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:07pm
 
Environment - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2022 - 6:51pm
 
Trump - haresfur - Aug 7, 2022 - 6:07pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Aug 7, 2022 - 1:48pm
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2022 - 1:11pm
 
Ukraine - R_P - Aug 7, 2022 - 12:09pm
 
Ridiculous or Funny Spam - Steely_D - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:47am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:18am
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:13am
 
China - haresfur - Aug 7, 2022 - 9:00am
 
Joe Biden - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2022 - 7:29am
 
RightWingNutZ - Steely_D - Aug 6, 2022 - 5:06pm
 
Tech & Science - Red_Dragon - Aug 6, 2022 - 3:17pm
 
Name My Band - Manbird - Aug 6, 2022 - 2:41pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Aug 6, 2022 - 12:49pm
 
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 6, 2022 - 9:27am
 
The Abortion Wars - black321 - Aug 6, 2022 - 8:39am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Aug 6, 2022 - 4:34am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - Steely_D - Aug 5, 2022 - 9:38pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - BlueHeronDruid - Aug 5, 2022 - 8:37pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 5, 2022 - 4:44pm
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Aug 5, 2022 - 12:58pm
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - Aug 5, 2022 - 10:09am
 
Least Successful Phishing Scams - geoff_morphini - Aug 5, 2022 - 9:19am
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 5, 2022 - 8:23am
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - miamizsun - Aug 5, 2022 - 7:09am
 
Favorite Flags - Proclivities - Aug 5, 2022 - 6:33am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Aug 5, 2022 - 6:25am
 
Afghanistan - Red_Dragon - Aug 5, 2022 - 5:29am
 
What the hell OV? - oldviolin - Aug 4, 2022 - 7:34pm
 
The Obituary Page - haresfur - Aug 4, 2022 - 3:16pm
 
What are you listening to now? - westslope - Aug 4, 2022 - 3:00pm
 
New Music - KurtfromLaQuinta - Aug 4, 2022 - 2:01pm
 
Art Show - Proclivities - Aug 4, 2022 - 11:48am
 
Breaking News - westslope - Aug 3, 2022 - 5:06pm
 
Saudi Arabia - westslope - Aug 3, 2022 - 4:45pm
 
Congress - Red_Dragon - Aug 3, 2022 - 2:19pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Aug 3, 2022 - 2:00pm
 
Message To Lucky - black321 - Aug 3, 2022 - 12:03pm
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - miamizsun - Aug 3, 2022 - 11:40am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - sirdroseph - Aug 3, 2022 - 10:39am
 
Manbird's Episiotomy Stitch Licking Clinic - KEEP OUT - geoff_morphini - Aug 3, 2022 - 9:08am
 
Infinite cat - Red_Dragon - Aug 3, 2022 - 7:36am
 
Flower Pictures - haresfur - Aug 3, 2022 - 7:13am
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Aug 2, 2022 - 8:19pm
 
It's the economy stupid. - Red_Dragon - Aug 2, 2022 - 6:52pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Aug 2, 2022 - 1:58pm
 
Favorite Beauty Products - Tried and Tested! - Proclivities - Aug 2, 2022 - 10:58am
 
Favorite Quotes - ptooey - Aug 2, 2022 - 10:21am
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2022 - 9:15am
 
Local Scenery - rgio - Aug 2, 2022 - 5:20am
 
Health Care - R_P - Aug 1, 2022 - 11:10am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - GeneP59 - Aug 1, 2022 - 5:14am
 
Nuclear power - saviour or scourge? - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jul 31, 2022 - 9:46pm
 
ATTN: Kate Bush Fans! - Steely_D - Jul 31, 2022 - 8:34pm
 
Australia has Disappeared - Proclivities - Jul 31, 2022 - 4:26am
 
You might be getting old if...... - Manbird - Jul 30, 2022 - 6:26pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - Steely_D - Jul 30, 2022 - 10:07am
 
Mr Peabody's Coal Train Broke - oldviolin - Jul 29, 2022 - 6:21pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - Antigone - Jul 29, 2022 - 5:01pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - Isabeau - Jul 29, 2022 - 4:43pm
 
Seattle Q&A - Manbird - Jul 29, 2022 - 1:31pm
 
Russia - Steely_D - Jul 29, 2022 - 9:33am
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - GeneP59 - Jul 29, 2022 - 9:08am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - oldviolin - Jul 28, 2022 - 7:41pm
 
International broadcasting - jp33442 - Jul 28, 2022 - 5:13pm
 
American Revolution - oldviolin - Jul 28, 2022 - 2:56pm
 
Things Forgotten. - Steely_D - Jul 28, 2022 - 1:30pm
 
David Gray in concert - oldviolin - Jul 28, 2022 - 11:20am
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - Manbird - Jul 28, 2022 - 10:40am
 
hallucinogenic drugs - kurtster - Jul 27, 2022 - 8:10pm
 
Bike! - miamizsun - Jul 27, 2022 - 3:48pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 467, 468, 469  Next
Post to this Topic
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 7, 2021 - 11:32am

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:


  It was like he came running out of the bushes with a doorbell buzzer. 



Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 7, 2021 - 11:31am

 Coaxial wrote:

That will bring a dang tear to your eye right there...Please take as many as you want for the people that don't have a poopy to share.{#Good-vibes}
 

   Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me for the little guy's first solo hunting success this morning.  He manged to snag the biggest damn annual cicada I have ever seen.  It was twice the size of his seventeen year cousins that took over the place last spring.  It was the loudest too.  It was like he came running out of the bushes with a doorbell buzzer.  I took the camera back in before the money shot on the one I did post too.  Imagine this with Koda humping his neck for all he's worth.
 
Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543mileswestofParadis,1491miles east of
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 7, 2021 - 10:14am

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 Like father, like son.
 
 
  
 

 I'm sorry.  I have a camera and a new puppy.  I can't help myself.   I'll try to tone it down.
 
That will bring a dang tear to your eye right there...Please take as many as you want for the people that don't have a poopy to share.{#Good-vibes}
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 7, 2021 - 9:59am

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 Like father, like son.
 
 
  
 

 I'm sorry.  I have a camera and a new puppy.  I can't help myself.   I'll try to tone it down.




Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 7, 2021 - 9:16am


 Like father, like son.
 
 
  
 

 I'm sorry.  I have a camera and a new puppy.  I can't help myself.   I'll try to tone it down.
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2021 - 2:08pm

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

   You got that right.  This is especially good for Rosie.  Rocky will sometimes switch from play to hunting mode and it frustrates her greatly.  She's only ten months herself and girls just want to have fun.   Rocky has though already shown the little guy just how you catch a mole and he will often start digging right along side the big guy when he's on something.  There was an incident earlier today when Rocky was digging and  Rosie was right in his face teasing him with the ball and he just sat there looking back and forth between them not knowing what to do.  In the end though he ran off with Rosie.

Edit: Oops!  forgot the pix
 
 
They're great! {#Good-vibes}
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2021 - 1:07pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
Cavort 24/7!
 
   You got that right.  This is especially good for Rosie.  Rocky will sometimes switch from play to hunting mode and it frustrates her greatly.  She's only ten months herself and girls just want to have fun.   Rocky has though already shown the little guy just how you catch a mole and he will often start digging right along side the big guy when he's on something.  There was an incident earlier today when Rocky was digging and  Rosie was right in his face teasing him with the ball and he just sat there looking back and forth between them not knowing what to do.  In the end though he ran off with Rosie.

Edit: Oops!  forgot the pix
 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2021 - 11:19am

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 





Cavort 24/7!
islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2021 - 6:36am

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 Well, it's official.  Rocky and I have won and are going to keep the little guy.  We found out his name, at least his most recent name, was Koda.  He doesn't respond to it very well yet.  I suspect his former owners may have been the type that talk more about their dog than to their dog.  At any rate I think I'm going to keep it.   I think it's a little better than Bob and there is no way it could morph into anything close to Rocky.  The big dog and I are absolutely overjoyed.   Here are the required pix:
 


This is good.

haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2021 - 2:24am

 Prodigal_SOB wrote:

 Well, it's official.  Rocky and I have won and are going to keep the little guy.  We found out his name, at least his most recent name, was Koda.  He doesn't respond to it very well yet.  I suspect his former owners may have been the type that talk more about their dog than to their dog.  At any rate I think I'm going to keep it.   I think it's a little better than Bob and there is no way it could morph into anything close to Rocky.  The big dog and I are absolutely overjoyed.   Here are the required pix:
 




Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 5, 2021 - 4:17pm


 Well, it's official.  Rocky and I have won and are going to keep the little guy.  We found out his name, at least his most recent name, was Koda.  He doesn't respond to it very well yet.  I suspect his former owners may have been the type that talk more about their dog than to their dog.  At any rate I think I'm going to keep it.   I think it's a little better than Bob and there is no way it could morph into anything close to Rocky.  The big dog and I are absolutely overjoyed.   Here are the required pix:
 

Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 3, 2021 - 1:12pm


 Well I may have an emergency backup dog now.   He was rescued by the owner of Rocky's bff, Rosie, and we haven't really decided which one of us will end up keeping him yet.  He is a six month old Lab/Australian Shepherd mix who we are calling Bob because he has the shepherd's half tail.  Initially it seems like the pup is a little fonder of Rocky than he is of Rosie, but Rosie is a little more exited about the new arrival than Rocky is.  They all are getting along great though.  Here are the pix to keep this on topic.
 



black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 29, 2021 - 12:46pm

 rhahl wrote:
  ,
Possibly but I doubt it. Not gun shy, but she was only 9 months old, a "rescue" brought from Tazewell, VA, to the D.C. area and fostered for a few weeks. Going on 13 now.


My old girl Maggie, RIP, wasn't a hunting dog, but grew up in the mountains of Colorado, until I dragged her off to city life in Seattle. 
I never forget the look she would give me when I would have to leash her for walks...talk about a disappointment. 
rhahl

rhahl Avatar



Posted: Jul 29, 2021 - 10:37am

 black321 wrote:
 rhahl wrote:
Betsy, a feist we think. I am a great disappointment to her because I don't shoot treed squirrels.  Named after an old girlfriend who was also disappointed in me, perhaps for the same reason.
Good looking pup.
Was she a hunting dog before you got her?
,
Possibly but I doubt it. Not gun shy, but she was only 9 months old, a "rescue" brought from Tazewell, VA, to the D.C. area and fostered for a few weeks. Going on 13 now.
black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 29, 2021 - 10:16am

 rhahl wrote:
Betsy, a feist we think. I am a great disappointment to her because I don't shoot treed squirrels.  Named after an old girlfriend who was also disappointed in me, perhaps for the same reason.


Good looking pup.
Was she a hunting dog before you got her?
rhahl

rhahl Avatar



Posted: Jul 29, 2021 - 9:53am

Betsy finds a mysterious obelisk on the Maine coast.
Published at NakedCapitalism. https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2021/07/links-7-29-2021.html
 
I showed this photo to a friend, who spoke of Cartier-Bresson’s “decisive moment.”
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 13, 2021 - 5:47pm

 rhahl wrote:
Betsy, a feist we think. I am a great disappointment to her because I don't shoot treed squirrels.  Named after an old girlfriend.
     
 She' gorgeous.  The guy to the left always made me feel a little guilty about not hunting too, but I think even he knew what a bad idea getting me up before the sun and putting a gun in my hands would be.  We played a lot of lake tennis to make up for it.
 
rhahl

rhahl Avatar



Posted: Jul 13, 2021 - 5:27pm

Betsy, a feist we think. I am a great disappointment to her because I don't shoot treed squirrels.  Named after an old girlfriend who was also disappointed in me, perhaps for the same reason.
Prodigal_SOB

Prodigal_SOB Avatar

Location: Back Home Again in Indiana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 12, 2021 - 12:57am

 islander wrote:
We had a dog with terrible separation anxiety. He was a mess and would howl when left, even with our other dog there.  Some one gave us this advice:

Take a weekend day and start early in the morning. Get ready and leave as you normally would. Try not to have any anxiety or drama to queue the pup to worry or start up.  Leave the house,  for ~ 30 seconds, then come back in, put your stuff down and spend 5 minutes being 'normal'. Don't greet them enthusiastically, actually ignore them as much as possible.  After 5 minutes or so, pack up and leave again - same thing, little drama, just secure them in their normal space,  grab your stuff and go. Stay out for a minute or so, then return. Same thing - mostly ignore them, settle back in for 5-10 minutes.  Repeat this process, gradually working up to 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then more incrementally. We took two days doing this and the fits gradually lessened, in both length and severity. They got worse when we started day two initially, but quickly subsided. By lunch on day two, we went to lunch.  The idea is to show them that you always come back. Show them this repetitively in a short timeframe, and gradually add to your away time so they don't notice the change so much (dogs are bad at time). 

This worked really well for us.  Another key was making our comings and goings very low key. No rewards, no big dramatic welcome home. They did get excited when we came in, but we made them sit calmly before interacting.  You want your exit/return to be just another event in the day, not a trigger for anything. 

Good Luck!

  

All good advice and I've been trying some of it. I have a friend in town who he visits once or twice a week to play with her terrier. I've left him with them for short periods a few times. It has never gone very well, but he calms right down when he hears me coming and is not overly excited just relieved and happy when I come in the door. I have nothing approaching a regular schedule or normal way to leave. I've only left him in the house by himself three or four times when I needed to to play with a chain saw or something else I didn't want him getting too close to. He pretty much didn't stop complaining each time. When I first got him he got a little carsick a couple of times and once when I needed to go to the grocery he refused to hop in the car so I just left him at home. He has never been reluctant to get in since and runs right to the door if I show any indication of leaving even though being left in the car are by far the most frequent and likely the most intense episodes he has. I briefly entertained the notion that he may have been left in a car and nearly roasted alive in his past life. He was as I said though initially prone to carsickness and taking your dog with you didn't seem to be the guy I met's style so unless he had multiple abusers it's not that likely. The trigger in the car can be just coming into a neighborhood that he recognizes like pulling into a parking lot.  If not that though rolling up the windows most of the the way is sure to set him off.  If I leave him so much as a millimeter of clearance he will slither out a window to get to me. The vast majority of our separations are fifteen minutes or less, but so far things haven't gotten a lot better. I recently ran into restaurant just long enough to grab a take out menu with my cousin standing right by the window to try to comfort him. She said it was the saddest thing she's ever had to listen to, but as soon as he saw me come out it stopped and the tail started wagging. I'm still trying to zero in on exactly what his concerns are.  Knowing where I am at all times is obviously very important to him, but being on his home turf eases it a lot. He will sometimes come to me to tell me it's urgent he get outside, but unless his girlfriend is also out he waits right by the door until I can get some shoes and whatever else I need to come out with him. Once I do come out though he's now gotten comfortable hunting/exploring several hundred yards away from me and even letting me out of his sight. If I sneak back inside on him though he'll be at the door within a minute or two. Having people he interacts with daily rather than weekly is obviously big too. Leaving him next door didn't just help the problem, it eliminated it. It wasn't a short trip either. I was gone the entire day hanging out with S&JFW at Wrigley.  When I did get back it was like I never left. He was not at all tired of playing with his sweetheart nor that anxious to get home. They had even been able to take him out to a lake he'd never been to before without him getting at all anxious. Bringing his sweetie with us to the store to wait in the car with him though didn't help much at all as I had hoped it might.  I still plan to get an emergency backup dog for him to hang with when I have to desert him though.  I never want to go through a dogless period like after I lost Price again.
 
 I apologize for getting off topic with my last post and failing to include any dog pix. Here are two to make up for it.
 



I guess technically though with my avatar I've got a dog pic in all my posts.

BlueHeronDruid

BlueHeronDruid Avatar

Location: planting flowers


Posted: Jul 11, 2021 - 8:03pm

 islander wrote:


We had a dog with terrible separation anxiety. He was a mess and would howl when left, even with our other dog there.  Some one gave us this advice:

Take a weekend day and start early in the morning. Get ready and leave as you normally would. Try not to have any anxiety or drama to queue the pup to worry or start up.  Leave the house,  for ~ 30 seconds, then come back in, put your stuff down and spend 5 minutes being 'normal'. Don't greet them enthusiastically, actually ignore them as much as possible.  After 5 minutes or so, pack up and leave again - same thing, little drama, just secure them in their normal space,  grab your stuff and go. Stay out for a minute or so, then return. Same thing - mostly ignore them, settle back in for 5-10 minutes.  Repeat this process, gradually working up to 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then more incrementally. We took two days doing this and the fits gradually lessened, in both length and severity. They got worse when we started day two initially, but quickly subsided. By lunch on day two, we went to lunch.  The idea is to show them that you always come back. Show them this repetitively in a short timeframe, and gradually add to your away time so they don't notice the change so much (dogs are bad at time). 

This worked really well for us.  Another key was making our comings and goings very low key. No rewards, no big dramatic welcome home. They did get excited when we came in, but we made them sit calmly before interacting.  You want your exit/return to be just another event in the day, not a trigger for anything. 

Good Luck!


Same advice we got from a behavior specialist. Lots of work to do with the newer lad who gets waaay too excited when we return, to the tune of painful vocalizations and a bit of biting on his "sister" as we come through the door. We redirect the mouthy behavior (get your toy!) but we need to step it up with the low key approach, so as not to inadvertantly reward that behavior. 

Damn rescue dogs, whose horror stories we will never know...

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 467, 468, 469  Next