[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Embedding Tweets - R_P - Jun 3, 2020 - 4:23pm
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - Red_Dragon - Jun 3, 2020 - 4:19pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - R_P - Jun 3, 2020 - 4:01pm
 
Trump - steeler - Jun 3, 2020 - 3:52pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Lazy8 - Jun 3, 2020 - 3:03pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Jun 3, 2020 - 2:35pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - ScopPics - Jun 3, 2020 - 2:30pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Jun 3, 2020 - 2:15pm
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - oldviolin - Jun 3, 2020 - 2:13pm
 
Amazon Echo/Alexa stream not working - Gourd - Jun 3, 2020 - 1:55pm
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - Jun 3, 2020 - 1:44pm
 
Trump Lies - hayduke2 - Jun 3, 2020 - 12:45pm
 
Fun - Proclivities - Jun 3, 2020 - 11:26am
 
Things You Thought Today - sirdroseph - Jun 3, 2020 - 11:13am
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 3, 2020 - 10:04am
 
Party planning advice - Proclivities - Jun 3, 2020 - 9:04am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - ColdMiser - Jun 3, 2020 - 7:25am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - Proclivities - Jun 3, 2020 - 7:08am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Jun 3, 2020 - 6:45am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Jun 3, 2020 - 6:37am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 7:31pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 7:26pm
 
Poetry Forum - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 7:24pm
 
In My Room - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 7:16pm
 
Favorite Quotes - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 5:03pm
 
The R_P & KarmaKarma bickering topic - R_P - Jun 2, 2020 - 4:40pm
 
Canada - haresfur - Jun 2, 2020 - 3:01pm
 
Joe Biden - R_P - Jun 2, 2020 - 2:55pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 2:10pm
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - kcar - Jun 2, 2020 - 1:20pm
 
RP Main Mix on TuneIn unavailable? - withdean1 - Jun 2, 2020 - 12:03pm
 
Post your favorite 'You Tube' Videos Here - black321 - Jun 2, 2020 - 11:28am
 
Epic Facebook Statuses - Coaxial - Jun 2, 2020 - 8:06am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 7:49am
 
Tales from the RAFT - Coaxial - Jun 2, 2020 - 6:50am
 
Sonos - scrubbrush - Jun 2, 2020 - 6:43am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Jun 2, 2020 - 5:58am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Jun 2, 2020 - 12:04am
 
Food - AliGator - Jun 1, 2020 - 8:48pm
 
Stupid Questions (and Answers) - haresfur - Jun 1, 2020 - 8:07pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - Antigone - Jun 1, 2020 - 6:10pm
 
Bernie Sanders - R_P - Jun 1, 2020 - 3:36pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Jun 1, 2020 - 12:24pm
 
What Did You See Today? - Steely_D - Jun 1, 2020 - 11:00am
 
Today in History - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 1, 2020 - 8:23am
 
I can't download a cache block for offline listening - q4Fry - Jun 1, 2020 - 6:50am
 
FLAC Streaming - Ohewitt - Jun 1, 2020 - 5:01am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - KarmaKarma - May 31, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
RPeeps I miss. - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 11:55am
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 10:27am
 
Questions. - buddy - May 31, 2020 - 9:34am
 
A thousand million questions - buddy - May 31, 2020 - 9:32am
 
What kind of lunatic answers rhetorical questions? - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:45am
 
Crucial History Questions - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:43am
 
Medical Questions - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Questions I'd like to ask at tonight's debate - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:41am
 
What questions would you like to answer for the world? - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:36am
 
Dumbass Questions - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:35am
 
Rhetorical questions - oldviolin - May 31, 2020 - 8:33am
 
Breaking News - Red_Dragon - May 31, 2020 - 6:59am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - May 31, 2020 - 5:01am
 
Australia and New Zealand Music - whatshisname - May 31, 2020 - 4:12am
 
Cloud Gazing (Photos You've Taken) - haresfur - May 30, 2020 - 9:50pm
 
Automotive Lust - Coaxial - May 30, 2020 - 4:53pm
 
Advice? - Red_Dragon - May 30, 2020 - 4:01pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - May 30, 2020 - 6:06am
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - Steely_D - May 29, 2020 - 6:34pm
 
suggest "clasical music" - kcar - May 29, 2020 - 3:49pm
 
Covid-19 hits home at RP - fractalv - May 29, 2020 - 3:07pm
 
submissions - TheKing2 - May 29, 2020 - 2:18pm
 
Well, DUH!! - KarmaKarma - May 29, 2020 - 11:43am
 
Free Books and Free Culture Online - R_P - May 29, 2020 - 11:34am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - May 29, 2020 - 10:15am
 
The RANT Forum - steeler - May 29, 2020 - 9:39am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » WTF??!! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 981, 982, 983  Next
Post to this Topic
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 8, 2019 - 9:16pm

Prowler spends 3 hours licking doorbell at California home

islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 3, 2019 - 9:41am



 Lazy8 wrote:
islander wrote:
The coal rollers have plenty of subsidies that they take full advantage of. Remember the section 179 rules? Lots of rich people bought hummers, but these guys weren't all up in arms about it.  As is typical, people like their own subsidies, but those that go to someone else are waste or corruption.  It's a kind of virtue signaling for them to make this protest as well, they are doing their own fair share of sneering (and really, I think a not insignificant number of these perceived sneers are either jealousy or self consciousness) .

Section 179 was actually an attempt to limit tax deductions for personal vehicles that backfired badly. For those unaware the US tax code allows business owners to write off some of the cost of business equipment, including vehicles. To prevent every business owner from writing off the cost of a new Camaro they thoughtfully required that the vehicle have a GVW between 6,000 and 14,000 lbs. Intrepid car salesmen pointed out that if you optioned it out right you could get a pickup or SUV over the minimum and qualify, and manufacturers were quick to capitalize on that.

The electric vehicle tax credit was no accident and didn't have even a tenuous connection to the cost of running a business, it was a straight-up subsidy—a transfer from middle class taxpayers to wealthy ones. While the class warfare aspects of this are secondary to my own outrage at this practice it's fair to point out to the Robin Hood piety of the left that the policy they enacted served to fatten the rich at the expense of the poor.

I doubt most monster truck drivers are even aware they are subsidizing luxury cars, but then most monster truck drivers aren't blocking charging stations or rolling coal either.
I'd also note the wheel well lights on the gold truck are an idea stolen from the fart can kids I'm sure they hate too.

I'm curious: do lowriders or other ghetto car cultures outrage you so? Would you dare criticize any other culture or class of people for the actions of its most obnoxious members, or are only rednecks fair game for that?

The electric car tax credit has nothing to do with owning a business and never did.  It is open to anyone, even redneck truck owners.   The section 179 abuse was limited to businesses, but it was the rich guys taking advantage of the system - ultimately at the expense of the poorer. Very few of the 'Truck Yeah!' crowd were complaining then, so this just looks like selective outrage at 'the elites' (well at least the elites that drive cars they don't like, not the elites that own blue collar businesses). 

Again, our system is filled with subsidies and incentives. People (myself included) are pretty ready to justify them when it suits their needs or objectives, and to look sideways at the ones that don't benefit themselves or fit their goals. The idea that these truck drivers are offended (snowflaked?) because they got a offputting sneer from a Prius driver once and now they need to claim a supercharger spot as a safe space is laughable. It's not like there hasn't been plenty of derision on both sides of this fence for decades.   

Car culture in general fascinates me. Go look up my profile on Bring a Trailer (same username). I think you'll find plenty of admiration for most things automotive across the spectrum.  I defended the customized riviera lowrider owned by Travis Barker (really liked it and would have thought about purchase if I had a garage), and I also lusted after a diesel toyota hi lux up in canada. So yeah, I'm not really put off by the car culture bit, it's the asshatted "I'm gonna show those guys" nature of this protest that outrages me so.  Especially so when the people impacted probably have not done anything (like the majority of electric car and bro truck owners).   Why do the 'elite' electric car owners bother you so?   I get the occasional obnoxiousness, but that's not all 'elites' or electric car owners any more than this is all truck owners.


Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 3, 2019 - 9:02am

islander wrote:
The coal rollers have plenty of subsidies that they take full advantage of. Remember the section 179 rules? Lots of rich people bought hummers, but these guys weren't all up in arms about it.  As is typical, people like their own subsidies, but those that go to someone else are waste or corruption.  It's a kind of virtue signaling for them to make this protest as well, they are doing their own fair share of sneering (and really, I think a not insignificant number of these perceived sneers are either jealousy or self consciousness) .

Section 179 was actually an attempt to limit tax deductions for personal vehicles that backfired badly. For those unaware the US tax code allows business owners to write off some of the cost of business equipment, including vehicles. To prevent every business owner from writing off the cost of a new Camaro they thoughtfully required that the vehicle have a GVW between 6,000 and 14,000 lbs. Intrepid car salesmen pointed out that if you optioned it out right you could get a pickup or SUV over the minimum and qualify, and manufacturers were quick to capitalize on that.

The electric vehicle tax credit was no accident and didn't have even a tenuous connection to the cost of running a business, it was a straight-up subsidy—a transfer from middle class taxpayers to wealthy ones. While the class warfare aspects of this are secondary to my own outrage at this practice it's fair to point out to the Robin Hood piety of the left that the policy they enacted served to fatten the rich at the expense of the poor.

I doubt most monster truck drivers are even aware they are subsidizing luxury cars, but then most monster truck drivers aren't blocking charging stations or rolling coal either.
I'd also note the wheel well lights on the gold truck are an idea stolen from the fart can kids I'm sure they hate too.

I'm curious: do lowriders or other ghetto car cultures outrage you so? Would you dare criticize any other culture or class of people for the actions of its most obnoxious members, or are only rednecks fair game for that?
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 9:35pm

{#Wink}  bit of both I reckon. In the meantime Tesla has really shaken up the German car industry. They are all shit-scared of becoming the next dinosaurs and are now pumping billions into EVs.
islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 9:09pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
islander wrote:
I'll assume that this is not the only subsidy for the rich that you are unhappy about.  Speaking of virtue signaling, what does it say about those who drive these oversized trucks (did you see the wheels?), who are they signaling?  And is that attack really the people they should be upset with over subsidies (how many of our wars are in countries without oil under the dirt?).

Rednecks are not known for their political sophistication. They don't necessarily understand the nuances of tax policy or political favor-buying or the lifecycle costs of a Tesla, but they know they don't make enough to get a tax credit even they could somehow buy one. And they know when they're being sneered at.

They struck what they could reach. Yeah, it's a futile juvenile gesture that accomplishes nothing—nothing positive, anyway. But it isn't entirely unprovoked.

 
The coal rollers have plenty of subsidies that they take full advantage of. Remember the section 179 rules? Lots of rich people bought hummers, but these guys weren't all up in arms about it.  As is typical, people like their own subsidies, but those that go to someone else are waste or corruption.  It's a kind of virtue signaling for them to make this protest as well, they are doing their own fair share of sneering (and really, I think a not insignificant number of these perceived sneers are either jealousy or self consciousness) .



I'd also note the wheel well lights on the gold truck are an idea stolen from the fart can kids I'm sure they hate too. 
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 9:04pm

islander wrote:
I'll assume that this is not the only subsidy for the rich that you are unhappy about.  Speaking of virtue signaling, what does it say about those who drive these oversized trucks (did you see the wheels?), who are they signaling?  And is that attack really the people they should be upset with over subsidies (how many of our wars are in countries without oil under the dirt?).

Rednecks are not known for their political sophistication. They don't necessarily understand the nuances of tax policy or political favor-buying or the lifecycle costs of a Tesla, but they know they don't make enough to get a tax credit even they could somehow buy one. And they know when they're being sneered at.

They struck what they could reach. Yeah, it's a futile juvenile gesture that accomplishes nothing—nothing positive, anyway. But it isn't entirely unprovoked.

islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 8:47pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
 

I'll assume that this is not the only subsidy for the rich that you are unhappy about.  Speaking of virtue signaling, what does it say about those who drive these oversized trucks (did you see the wheels?), who are they signaling?  And is that attack really the people they should be upset with over subsidies (how many of our wars are in countries without oil under the dirt?).
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 8:01pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
oldviolin wrote:
Please stop poking holes in the life raft...

It's more of a slave ship.

 
Hence irony...

Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 7:50pm

oldviolin wrote:
Please stop poking holes in the life raft...

It's more of a slave ship.

oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 6:57pm



 Lazy8 wrote:
 

Please stop poking holes in the life raft...
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 6:52pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

Hickory, NC is to a large extent, a relatively poor, redneck, very right-wing area -pretty country though and not necessarily outwardly mean people.  There are not a lot of jobs around there.  I'm surprised there are Tesla/electric drivers around there - probably passing through.  Plus, there are also the points in the article Lazy posted.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 6:05pm

Red_Dragon wrote:
...is wrong with some people?

Maybe they're tired of paying for rich people's rolling virtue signals.


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 2:37pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

 Is that a rhetorical question?
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 2, 2019 - 2:16pm

...is wrong with some people?
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 9:37am



 Proclivities wrote:
Can't embed this video but it's pretty exciting in a way- not bad or gruesome or anything like that.
 

Pretty sure that's a tried and true way to break a spine. :eek:
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 8:48am

Can't embed this video but it's pretty exciting in a way- not bad or gruesome or anything like that.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Mar 21, 2018 - 2:30pm

Lawsuit after Malaysian flag reported as 'IS symbol' in US

Munir Zanial let a property at a lake owned by the organisation for a Malaysian Independence Day party.

The FBI was alerted when an employee reported Muslim guests were displaying what was described as a US flag defaced with Islamic State group symbols.

The investigation ended when it emerged the flag was Malaysia's, but Mr Zanial was banned from hosting events. (...)


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 19, 2018 - 2:42pm

 cc_rider wrote:
It just got a lot worse. Two men were wounded Sunday by another bomb, this one set with a tripwire. More sophisticated and less specific with its target.
c.
 

damn

saw the news where the cavalry has arrived

i hope this gets resolved soon


{#Good-vibes}
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 19, 2018 - 12:55pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:

tRump has emboldened the scum of the earth with his racist rhetoric.

 
Yeah, there's a lot of speculation, but nothing concrete yet. One potential suspect was charged with making bomb threats, but he's not involved.
The tripwire is a bad development. The first 3 bombings appeared to be targeted at a couple of prominent AA families, which helps investigators, but the tripwire bomb was in a different part of town, and apparently indiscriminate.
c.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Mar 19, 2018 - 12:42pm

 cc_rider wrote:
It just got a lot worse. Two men were wounded Sunday by another bomb, this one set with a tripwire. More sophisticated and less specific with its target.
c.

 
tRump has emboldened the scum of the earth with his racist rhetoric.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 981, 982, 983  Next