[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Radio Paradise Comments - sunybuny - Sep 22, 2020 - 4:14am
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - sirdroseph - Sep 22, 2020 - 2:58am
 
Counting with Pictures - yuel - Sep 22, 2020 - 12:24am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - kurtster - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:45pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:29pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - islander - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:03pm
 
Things I'd LIKE to find at my house. - Antigone - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:31pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Steely_D - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:13pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Sep 21, 2020 - 2:09pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Sep 21, 2020 - 1:53pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - miamizsun - Sep 21, 2020 - 12:01pm
 
2020 Elections - KarmaKarma - Sep 21, 2020 - 10:52am
 
RP Main Mix on TuneIn unavailable? - DianaLipka - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:56am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Sep 21, 2020 - 7:40am
 
Trump - cc_rider - Sep 21, 2020 - 7:31am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - paul84 - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:41am
 
Best Song Comments. - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:37am
 
Trolls at RP - Steely_D - Sep 20, 2020 - 4:41pm
 
Facebook Tips - Ohmsen - Sep 20, 2020 - 2:37pm
 
WikiLeaks - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 2:12pm
 
American Justice - miamizsun - Sep 20, 2020 - 1:08pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 12:34pm
 
The American Dream - Red_Dragon - Sep 20, 2020 - 12:09pm
 
Environment - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:56am
 
The Obituary Page - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:35am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:16am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:15am
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2020 - 7:29am
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - miamizsun - Sep 20, 2020 - 6:46am
 
Republican Party - sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2020 - 6:14am
 
FLAC Streaming - gsbaronnier - Sep 20, 2020 - 3:24am
 
Anti-War - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 4:57pm
 
How's the weather? - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 3:48pm
 
Immigration - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 2:17pm
 
TV shows you watch - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 19, 2020 - 12:57pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:26am
 
China - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:07am
 
Favorite Quotes - sirdroseph - Sep 19, 2020 - 9:46am
 
Thank you, Bug. - miamizsun - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:53am
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Canada - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 7:37pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 2:05pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Private messages in a public forum - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:21am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:14am
 
Buddy's Haven - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 9:14am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 8:10am
 
Drop the Puck! NHL Lockout Ends! - black321 - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:06am
 
Today in History - Ohmsen - Sep 18, 2020 - 5:26am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:04pm
 
Signs o' the Apocalypse in the news... - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:57pm
 
Soliciting ideas to bring about a more humane world - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:06pm
 
Rock Movies/Documentaries - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 1:39pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:57am
 
What are you listening to now? - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:49am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:43am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:39am
 
Women in the World - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:02am
 
More Stuff Schlabby Doesn't Do - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:57am
 
Nina Simone... - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Brass Against? - jamesat43 - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Helpful emergency signs - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 7:38am
 
Breaking Bad - sirdroseph - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:55am
 
Economix - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 11:56pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Sep 16, 2020 - 8:22pm
 
Fires - haresfur - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:07pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Steely_D - Sep 16, 2020 - 5:01pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - Steely_D - Sep 16, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
Silence? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 16, 2020 - 9:28am
 
Regarding cats - sirdroseph - Sep 16, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Is there any GOOD news out there? - kcar - Sep 16, 2020 - 4:24am
 
Trade War - R_P - Sep 15, 2020 - 8:13pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » 2020 Elections Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Post to this Topic
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 10:52am



 miamizsun wrote:


as far as i can tell both parties are doing basically the same stuff that they've always done

more hype on it, which is great for ratings, but looks like same old chicanery

am i missing something new or groundbreaking?

picking the lesser evil?


does it matter?

yes, if we want different results
 

Unless someone is a died-in-the-wool supporter of their party, come hell or high water (dammit 2020!), every election is always about picking the lesser evil, more so in a system that (realistically) only offers a binary choice.

Trump came on the scene because Repub voters were sick and tired of the same old same old.  After Trump leaves (and he will!) the Republicans will have rejuvenated themselves with fresh blood and the courage to try new ways.

You got Biden because ... how?  Beholden to privilege and the surging hard left, that's how.

The Democrats are now the party is dire need of fresh blood and credible ideas & leadership.  And many Dem voters who have switched to Trump are saying: they didn't leave the Democrats, the Democrats left them.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 9:31am

 sirdroseph wrote:

However the real issue is, does it really even matter?
 

as far as i can tell both parties are doing basically the same stuff that they've always done

more hype on it, which is great for ratings, but looks like same old chicanery

am i missing something new or groundbreaking?

picking the lesser evil?

does it matter?

yes, if we want different results
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 9:23am

 miamizsun wrote:


not sure how you could say that with any certainty
 
However the real issue is, does it really even matter?
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 9:14am

 KarmaKarma wrote:
Dems are so screwed in this election.  So very screwed.  And they did it all to themselves.
 

not sure how you could say that with any certainty
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 8:59am



 KarmaKarma wrote:
Dems are so screwed in this election.  So very screwed.  And they did it all to themselves.
 
For once, you're not wrong. 

KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 8:43am

Dems are so screwed in this election.  So very screwed.  And they did it all to themselves.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 21, 2020 - 8:22am

great msg and made me lol for real

mmmm...  baloney

Visualize your 2020 vote. from Vimeo Staff on Vimeo.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 20, 2020 - 8:24am

 kcar wrote:
here's another blatant example of voter suppression/manipulation

i'm not a green, but when third parties have legit concerns we should engage them and rationally discuss

but the heavyweights (dems and gop) are quick to squelch/throttle them (making it difficult to pick the lesser evil)


I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating.
~Boss Tweed



KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Sep 20, 2020 - 7:16am

Pathetic twit:

Today I Gave My Dad A Choice: Trump or His Grandkids and His Son.


And do read the comments.   He's getting slammed by right AND left.

Deservedly so.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 20, 2020 - 7:00am

 kcar wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:

i think part of the problem is poor organization and late execution

it seems to be easier now with the interweb (as long i can remember anyway)

literally takes two minutes on voter.org

you take can a phone and register people in an instant

at the bottom of that page is info from every state (deadlines, vote by mail requests, absentee, military/overseas, etc.)

so if you know someone who isn't registered, wants to verify registration, or vote in absentia, either let them know or send a link

don't wait
 

It's a lot messier in some places, like DC. People can give their info at voter.org but the state entity like the DC Board of Elections has to process that info. I've seen reports that DCBOE is dealing with record levels of applications. 
 

they probably are

it's gov, so realistically we should expect some slow/sloppy procedure

professional bureaucratic coffee stirrers and finger pointers are ready and able to help, please hold
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 8:09pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
Got damn republicans.  Your state is run by repubs, right ? 

I thought that they were determined to suppress voting not make it easier.

Can't believe anyone these days ...
 
I'm guessing (big) white majority...
 
You're asking the wrong white guy.  I don't live there.

You should ask the white guy that I responded to that actually lives there.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 7:48pm

 kurtster wrote:
Got damn republicans.  Your state is run by repubs, right ? 

I thought that they were determined to suppress voting not make it easier.

Can't believe anyone these days ...
 
I'm guessing (big) white majority...
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 6:46pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:


 rgio wrote:
 

 kcar wrote:
For voters in five states, in-person voting remains the only option unless they can provide an approved reason not related to fear of the coronavirus. Traditional absentee excuses include military deployments or illness.
There is a difference between mail-in and absentee balloting in most states.   Providing a reason for absentee ballots has been standard for some time. 
 
I believe they created an exception in our state due to the pandemic.

 
Got damn republicans.  Your state is run by repubs, right ? 

I thought that they were determined to suppress voting not make it easier.

Can't believe anyone these days ...
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 9:35am



 rgio wrote:
There is a difference between mail-in and absentee balloting in most states.   Providing a reason for absentee ballots has been standard for some time.  

 kcar wrote:
For voters in five states, in-person voting remains the only option unless they can provide an approved reason not related to fear of the coronavirus. Traditional absentee excuses include military deployments or illness.

 


I believe they created an exception in our state due to the pandemic.

rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 9:32am

There is a difference between mail-in and absentee balloting in most states.   Providing a reason for absentee ballots has been standard for some time.  

 kcar wrote:
For voters in five states, in-person voting remains the only option unless they can provide an approved reason not related to fear of the coronavirus. Traditional absentee excuses include military deployments or illness.

KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 7:50am


kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 9:28pm



 kurtster wrote:

Let's start here with this whopper then I'll consider discussing the rest.

Show me the list.
 

I stand corrected. I should have written that some states require the voter to provide an excuse before his/her state will allow absentee voting.  Those states are Texas, Louisiana, Indiana, Mississippi and Tennessee.

See the article for a map of the US states and their different regulations involving absentee voting. 

At least 84% of American voters can cast ballots by mail in the fall


For voters in five states, in-person voting remains the only option unless they can provide an approved reason not related to fear of the coronavirus. Traditional absentee excuses include military deployments or illness.




kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 9:18pm

 kcar wrote:

Also some states don't allow absentee voting. 
 
Let's start here with this whopper then I'll consider discussing the rest.

Show me the list.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 5:16pm

 kurtster wrote:
And for the last time, voting has never been easier to do than now in all the years I've been walking on this planet.
 
... as a privileged white American.
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 3:19pm



 kurtster wrote:
Elections are pretty regular and predictable here in the USA. 

In order to vote you must register.  Do not they teach that in school anymore ?

Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute a crisis or an emergency on my part.

I have no sympathy for those that put this off until the last minute.

And for the last time, voting has never been easier to do than now in all the years I've been walking on this planet.

When I started voting in 1972, there were two ways.  Show up in person on the day or have a damn good reason for requesting an absentee ballot.  That was it.
.
{#Cowboy}
 
You didn't have to miss a part of full day's pay to take off to make it to the polling place? Some folks have to make that choice.
Especially if the line to vote is hours long, because there aren't adequate amounts of polling places.

And you had transportation to get there swiftly? I know that's not true for everyone.

Did you have to bring your birth certificate, even though you were born poor, many decades ago, and were unlikely to have it, or any "official" documentation on hand? (And did you have the money in your budget that you could divert to paying for the document, as well as the time off work to wait at the government office to get it arranged?)

And did your vote amount to pissing in the wind due to gerrymandering?

To be honest, it takes time to get ducks in a row to be allowed to vote because of the OMGWTFFRAUD!!! (that has always been proven to be insignificant). So the "piss-poor-planning" that you unfairly mock is actually a race to address the recently engaged methodical widespread effort to keep the non-GOP folks from the polls. 

It certainly says something horrible about our government that they do everything they can to not encourage legal voting, to discourage legal voting,  to tolerate gerrymandering that prevents proper representation of the voters being governed, to promote the idea that we can't trust the results of the upcoming election, and for the President of the United States to suggest felonious behavior of voting more than once.


Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next