[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

RPeep News You Should Know - JrzyTmata - Jan 21, 2021 - 10:34am
 
Terrorist Watch! - sirdroseph - Jan 21, 2021 - 10:02am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Jan 21, 2021 - 9:39am
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jan 21, 2021 - 9:01am
 
COVID-19 - miamizsun - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:38am
 
Things You Thought Today - miamizsun - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:31am
 
That's good advice - miamizsun - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:29am
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - oldviolin - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:24am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:18am
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - rgio - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:13am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jan 21, 2021 - 7:39am
 
New Music on Radio Paradise - freewave - Jan 21, 2021 - 6:34am
 
Liberal please, - rhahl - Jan 21, 2021 - 5:50am
 
What Makes You Sad? - sirdroseph - Jan 21, 2021 - 4:35am
 
Freedom of speech? - sirdroseph - Jan 21, 2021 - 4:21am
 
Sade Vinyl Unboxing & New Album - ufamsm - Jan 20, 2021 - 9:01pm
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:56pm
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:54pm
 
Finally, some news that we can all smile about - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:44pm
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:25pm
 
Yes - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:07pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:39pm
 
Trump - R_P - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:38pm
 
Derplahoma! - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:34pm
 
Immigration - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:29pm
 
Joe Biden - rgio - Jan 20, 2021 - 1:05pm
 
Manbird's Stones - Isabeau - Jan 20, 2021 - 12:58pm
 
Name My Band - Isabeau - Jan 20, 2021 - 12:47pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Jan 20, 2021 - 12:11pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - black321 - Jan 20, 2021 - 12:10pm
 
Knikken Knokken Sorensen Filter Users Thread - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 10:30am
 
RP Rock Mix: Repetiion - jeglenn - Jan 20, 2021 - 10:20am
 
Latin Music - rhahl - Jan 20, 2021 - 8:44am
 
Vocabulary Quiz - rhahl - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:39am
 
American Justice - sirdroseph - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:12am
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - sirdroseph - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:29am
 
What Makes You Cry :) ? - haresfur - Jan 19, 2021 - 4:14pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jan 19, 2021 - 2:04pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - geoff_morphini - Jan 19, 2021 - 1:59pm
 
Google Docs (Docs, Spreadsheets, etc) - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 19, 2021 - 1:54pm
 
Republican Party - R_P - Jan 19, 2021 - 11:53am
 
Outstanding Covers - rhahl - Jan 19, 2021 - 10:47am
 
Baby words that stuck in your family - Isabeau - Jan 19, 2021 - 10:02am
 
Got my Goat - GeneP59 - Jan 19, 2021 - 9:47am
 
Capital Punishment - cc_rider - Jan 19, 2021 - 7:57am
 
It's the economy stupid. - sirdroseph - Jan 19, 2021 - 7:25am
 
Mellow mix in Vorbis? Please. - lagstrom64119 - Jan 19, 2021 - 5:20am
 
Anti-War - sirdroseph - Jan 19, 2021 - 4:36am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Jan 19, 2021 - 4:10am
 
By jimminy! Cricket! - haresfur - Jan 19, 2021 - 12:31am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - Coaxial - Jan 18, 2021 - 9:50pm
 
What makes you smile? - Antigone - Jan 18, 2021 - 3:49pm
 
The death penalty on trial? - black321 - Jan 18, 2021 - 1:06pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - Antigone - Jan 18, 2021 - 10:27am
 
Fox Spews - rgio - Jan 18, 2021 - 8:49am
 
Language - rhahl - Jan 18, 2021 - 7:35am
 
Counting with Pictures - yuel - Jan 18, 2021 - 6:47am
 
Jam! - rhahl - Jan 17, 2021 - 1:10pm
 
A motivational quote - kurtster - Jan 17, 2021 - 11:41am
 
Regarding dogs - rhahl - Jan 17, 2021 - 11:10am
 
The Obituary Page - rgio - Jan 17, 2021 - 9:48am
 
Social Media Are Changing Everything - black321 - Jan 17, 2021 - 7:37am
 
Best movies ever? - rhahl - Jan 17, 2021 - 3:41am
 
Breaking News - kurtster - Jan 16, 2021 - 4:37pm
 
Automotive Lust - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jan 16, 2021 - 4:28pm
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - miamizsun - Jan 16, 2021 - 5:54am
 
Flim Festivals on Now - rhahl - Jan 16, 2021 - 3:59am
 
2020 Elections - haresfur - Jan 15, 2021 - 8:44pm
 
What is the meaning of this? - Isabeau - Jan 15, 2021 - 2:00pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jan 15, 2021 - 12:47pm
 
What the hell OV? - miamizsun - Jan 15, 2021 - 9:51am
 
Physics questions - oldviolin - Jan 15, 2021 - 8:56am
 
Classical Music - rhahl - Jan 15, 2021 - 6:48am
 
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what? - miamizsun - Jan 15, 2021 - 6:10am
 
RightWingNutZ - Red_Dragon - Jan 15, 2021 - 5:55am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » NEED A COMPUTER GEEK! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 230, 231, 232  Next
Post to this Topic
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 4:03pm



 westslope wrote:
@kurtster and buddy:

Big fan of NT 4.0 back in the day.  Huge fan of Windows 7 right from the first beta release.

Windows 10 can be a pain but frankly during the Win 7 period, I would still spend a lot of time and effort shutting down stuff in the OS.  

Windows 10 is faster, more secure and handles multi-media stuff far better than all the predecessors.    Modern PC architecture is better for multi-media applications too.


Question:   Does modern Linux/Unix-based OS handle multi-media stuff as well or better than Windows?  
 


I don't know if you're willing to consider MacOS but it is a Unix OS AFAICT. 

My knowledge of Unix's history is pretty limited but I found this piece enlightening. Your knowledge may be very far ahead of mine and that of the author...

Is macOS UNIX? (and What Does That Mean?)

macOS is a UNIX 03-compliant operating system certified by The Open Group. It has been since 2007, starting with MAC OS X 10.5. The only exception was Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, but compliance was regained with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 4:03pm



 katzendogs wrote:
Windows10 pc has been shut down for months. What would be the proper procedure to restart without it performing all the overdue updates? It is set to automatically update at the moment and was a hard shutdown during a power failure.
 
Months are probably ok but updates can run into problems if your computer is really out of date. I ran into that issue when I installed an old windows license onto a new computer. If I recall, there was a way to give microsoft the license number and have them use it to do a fresh install. So I would make sure to grab your registration info before letting it update

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 3:54pm

 katzendogs wrote:
Windows10 pc has been shut down for months. What would be the proper procedure to restart without it performing all the overdue updates? It is set to automatically update at the moment and was a hard shutdown during a power failure.
 
Simply boot it up, offline.  The best way to make sure would be to disconnect your modem so that it cannot go online no matter how hard it tries.  Once up and running, secure the files you are worried about by transferring them to a USB thumb drive or the like. Turn off the automatic update.  Then once you have secured your files, plug your modem back in and go and ask for it to update. You can review the ones you want to use and discard those that you do not want.

For some reason that I have noticed, whenever you do update, the process seems to always turn the auto update feature back on, so you will have to look at that setting after every update.
katzendogs

katzendogs Avatar

Location: Pasadena ,Texas
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 2:17pm

 westslope wrote:


 katzendogs wrote:
Windows10 pc has been shut down for months. What would be the proper procedure to restart without it performing all the overdue updates? It is set to automatically update at the moment and was a hard shutdown during a power failure.
 

Was this PC loaded with the Windows 10 operating system functioning well before it was shut down?  

Why would you not want to perform all the overdue updates?   Do you plan on using the PC with zero connection to the internet?  The updates will help keep the PC safe.
 
Yes it is the original w10 and had all current updates prior to the power failure. I would like to review the updates as I've read some updates have caused data loss and I'm afraid it may lose my photos. I would like to do a back-up before any updates.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 2:16pm

@kurtster and buddy:

Big fan of NT 4.0 back in the day.  Huge fan of Windows 7 right from the first beta release.

Windows 10 can be a pain but frankly during the Win 7 period, I would still spend a lot of time and effort shutting down stuff in the OS.  

Windows 10 is faster, more secure and handles multi-media stuff far better than all the predecessors.    Modern PC architecture is better for multi-media applications too.


Question:   Does modern Linux/Unix-based OS handle multi-media stuff as well or better than Windows?  
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 2:08pm



 katzendogs wrote:
Windows10 pc has been shut down for months. What would be the proper procedure to restart without it performing all the overdue updates? It is set to automatically update at the moment and was a hard shutdown during a power failure.
 

Was this PC loaded with the Windows 10 operating system functioning well before it was shut down?  

Why would you not want to perform all the overdue updates?   Do you plan on using the PC with zero connection to the internet?  The updates will help keep the PC safe.
katzendogs

katzendogs Avatar

Location: Pasadena ,Texas
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 26, 2020 - 2:02pm

Windows10 pc has been shut down for months. What would be the proper procedure to restart without it performing all the overdue updates? It is set to automatically update at the moment and was a hard shutdown during a power failure.
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Self DD
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 1:27am



 kurtster wrote:
 

You’ve out-geeked me!


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 8:44pm

 buddy wrote:

Wow Kurt, I’ve been a technology professional for 35+ years & I don’t think I’ve run across NT for about 15 years at least. Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2004 I think. You really are old school, vinyl records & NT.  You wouldn’t happen to have a dusty bottle or two of Macallan’s 25 laying around there, would you?  ðŸ˜‰

 
Nope, no booze of any kind laying around the house, although I've been tempted lately to get some Gentleman Jack.

Broccoli on the other hand is plentiful.

All the programs I have and need run on XP.  I have hard copies of all of them.  I got them back when hippie was teaching me the ropes, which was 2007.  I built the puter from scratch especially for XP as a music server, I guess maybe nearly 10 years ago.  First effort and it lit up the first time I pushed the button, too.  Used a gamer's box and run it with the case sides off and very, very open to keep everything as cool as possible.  It is quite stable and does everything I need musically for ripping, editing, playing and burning.  I have 4 X 2 TB WD Black's for hard drives and a partitioned Samsung SSD for my C drive with all of my program files in the other partition, makes it pretty quick even with only 4 Gb's of RAM with an I - 5 Pentium QC processor.  That and I can re image the C and not have to reinstall my programs when I do that.  It's hardwired to my receiver in the living room on the other side of the wall of the office / studio via a 25 foot toslink optical cable.  Pure wav played in Sound Forge 8.0 to the DAC in my receiver. Or foobar.  Sounds good enough for me.  I also listen to 16 bit / 48 khz wav files in the car using up to a 128 g USB thumb drive.  Luvs, my Pioneer deck.  It is still all about the music regardless of everything else.

I'm on a Dell Win 7 pro for the net.  The wife has a Dell Win 10 all in one touchscreen and I have a Dell Win 10 laptop, barely used, somewhere.  Then there is my old liquid cooled Vaio XP Media edition which was my original multimedia puter.  It still works, I think.  Been a couple of years since I lit it up.
{#Cheers}
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Self DD
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 7:52pm



 kurtster wrote:
 

Wow Kurt, I’ve been a technology professional for 35+ years & I don’t think I’ve run across NT for about 15 years at least. Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2004 I think. You really are old school, vinyl records & NT.  You wouldn’t happen to have a dusty bottle or two of Macallan’s 25 laying around there, would you?  ðŸ˜‰


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 6:50am

 kcar wrote:


 kurtster wrote:
Q :  Is there a program out there that will capture the live on screen action plus audio ?  For Windows XP ?

I have seen music videos on You Tube where the maker will post what is the live playback of the wav files in a music studio such as Audacity or Sound Forge.

I would like to make an audio / video capture of the editing of wav files with the corresponding sound in real time.  Essentially what I am doing is redrawing the wav files with a mouse pencil tool like you might do with a CAD program ?

I would like to make a tutorial video of this process.

Thanks in advance.
 

I googled "screencasting software for windows xp". I can't vouch for any of the hits or mentioned applications. I think you'll see slim pickings for software compatible with the ancient XP.

https://www.google.com/search?...
You might want to check out VLC for its screenrecording/screencasting capabilities. VLC is reliable and open-source, normally used for playing back rare and abandoned video file formats. But apparently you can record video clips, Webcam video and take screenshots! I don't know if it records audio at the same time but I think most screencasting apps will do that. No idea if VLC is XP-compatible for your needs but it wouldn't surprise me.
Google  hits for "Can I record video with VLC?"

One of the first hits:

How to Enable VLC's Best Hidden Features

 
Thanks.  I wasn't sure of the term used, which evidently is screencasting.  I'm a total idiot when it comes to video.  Audio on the other hand, I do well with.

I have VLC installed on the XP already.  I had no idea.  I'll give it a try first and see if I can get it to work.  My music computer is XP.  That is all it does and runs software which still works very well.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Jun 13, 2020 - 2:00pm



 kurtster wrote:
Q :  Is there a program out there that will capture the live on screen action plus audio ?  For Windows XP ?

I have seen music videos on You Tube where the maker will post what is the live playback of the wav files in a music studio such as Audacity or Sound Forge.

I would like to make an audio / video capture of the editing of wav files with the corresponding sound in real time.  Essentially what I am doing is redrawing the wav files with a mouse pencil tool like you might do with a CAD program ?

I would like to make a tutorial video of this process.

Thanks in advance.
 

I googled "screencasting software for windows xp". I can't vouch for any of the hits or mentioned applications. I think you'll see slim pickings for software compatible with the ancient XP.

https://www.google.com/search?...


You might want to check out VLC for its screenrecording/screencasting capabilities. VLC is reliable and open-source, normally used for playing back rare and abandoned video file formats. But apparently you can record video clips, Webcam video and take screenshots! I don't know if it records audio at the same time but I think most screencasting apps will do that. No idea if VLC is XP-compatible for your needs but it wouldn't surprise me.


Google  hits for "Can I record video with VLC?"

One of the first hits:

How to Enable VLC's Best Hidden Features


kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Jun 13, 2020 - 1:33pm



 Ohmsen wrote:
kcar wrote:

FWIW: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-vpn-service/


One might consider using DNS encryption, such as dnscrypt-proxy plus Tor, on top of using a VPN (depending on one's privacy needs).  Generally speaking, there seems to be no reason to trust any VPN provider more than any IS provider. 

 

Sorry I didn't see this sooner...

I believe that Firefox has a checkbox option that enables DNS over Https. Cloudfare and some other DNS providers provide the same encryption. Some VPNs have an option of using Tor on top of their services.

I seriously disagree with your contention that "any VPN provider" deserves only the same level of trust you should give any ISP.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 13, 2020 - 10:52am

Q :  Is there a program out there that will capture the live on screen action plus audio ?  For Windows XP ?

I have seen music videos on You Tube where the maker will post what is the live playback of the wav files in a music studio such as Audacity or Sound Forge.

I would like to make an audio / video capture of the editing of wav files with the corresponding sound in real time.  Essentially what I am doing is redrawing the wav files with a mouse pencil tool like you might do with a CAD program ?

I would like to make a tutorial video of this process.

Thanks in advance.
Ohmsen

Ohmsen Avatar

Location: Old World
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 15, 2019 - 9:39am

kcar wrote:

FWIW: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-vpn-service/


One might consider using DNS encryption, such as dnscrypt-proxy plus Tor, on top of using a VPN (depending on one's privacy needs).  Generally speaking, there seems to be no reason to trust any VPN provider more than any IS provider. 

Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Oroville, Ca
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 13, 2019 - 1:06pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Manbird wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 

Accent Oh, that's the hobo who makes my pudding. Yeah, you can airdrop with me.
All the years I've had airdrop turned on I've never used it. Seems like a
useless appendage to me. I have a desktop, Iphone 7 and a 2nd genipad and
none of them ever airdrop anything between them. Frankly I don't know
what it's for. 
I use a Logitech slim combo case/keyboard which has a nice kickstand and pen holder
and also charges itself from the ipad.
 
Take a photo with your phone. Share it, and your desktop should show up as an option. Tap that and away the photo goes. Or if you're actually doing work on your iPad, you save a file and airdrop it over to the desktop. Otherwise you have to email it or dropbox it or some bullshit like that.


 
Thanks, I'll play with that.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Dec 13, 2019 - 12:45pm



 kcar wrote:
 
Interesting article.  Thanks kcar.  I might have missed when you first posted it.  That article is now bookmarked.  

I went ahead and ordered a subscription to Private Internet Access which is well regarded by wirecutter but not recommended because PIA has yet to allow a 3rd party audit.

I toyed with the idea of putting PIA on the wireless router but many recommend against that.  The other option is a standalone PC to support the VPN, ideally in a Unix-based language such as OpenBSD.  A buddy helped set up something similar for a firewall a couple of decades ago.  That solution would require considerable investment on my part.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 13, 2019 - 4:32am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
Take a photo with your phone. Share it, and your desktop should show up as an option. Tap that and away the photo goes. Or if you're actually doing work on your iPad, you save a file and airdrop it over to the desktop. Otherwise you have to email it or dropbox it or some bullshit like that.
 

i think that's correct

as i understand it this is especially handy if you're a creator and not tethered to a desk

a personal icloud of sorts

gathering material/video/pics/etc.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 4:10pm



 Manbird wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 

Accent Oh, that's the hobo who makes my pudding. Yeah, you can airdrop with me.
All the years I've had airdrop turned on I've never used it. Seems like a
useless appendage to me. I have a desktop, Iphone 7 and a 2nd genipad and
none of them ever airdrop anything between them. Frankly I don't know
what it's for. 
I use a Logitech slim combo case/keyboard which has a nice kickstand and pen holder
and also charges itself from the ipad.
 
Take a photo with your phone. Share it, and your desktop should show up as an option. Tap that and away the photo goes. Or if you're actually doing work on your iPad, you save a file and airdrop it over to the desktop. Otherwise you have to email it or dropbox it or some bullshit like that.


Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Oroville, Ca
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 2:13pm



 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 

Accent Oh, that's the hobo who makes my pudding. Yeah, you can airdrop with me.
All the years I've had airdrop turned on I've never used it. Seems like a
useless appendage to me. I have a desktop, Iphone 7 and a 2nd genipad and
none of them ever airdrop anything between them. Frankly I don't know
what it's for. 
I use a Logitech slim combo case/keyboard which has a nice kickstand and pen holder
and also charges itself from the ipad.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 230, 231, 232  Next