[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Today in History - ScottN - Dec 1, 2020 - 4:38am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Dec 1, 2020 - 4:36am
 
Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - Proclivities - Dec 1, 2020 - 4:33am
 
Biden Lies - miamizsun - Dec 1, 2020 - 4:20am
 
Marijuana: Baked News. - miamizsun - Dec 1, 2020 - 4:19am
 
2001; A SPACE ODYSSEY - miamizsun - Dec 1, 2020 - 3:58am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Dec 1, 2020 - 3:54am
 
Venus and Mars - R_P - Dec 1, 2020 - 1:57am
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Nov 30, 2020 - 11:25pm
 
COVID-19 - Steely_D - Nov 30, 2020 - 11:14pm
 
Live Music - R_P - Nov 30, 2020 - 9:46pm
 
2020 Elections - kurtster - Nov 30, 2020 - 9:33pm
 
Trump - buddy - Nov 30, 2020 - 9:09pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Coaxial - Nov 30, 2020 - 8:40pm
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - haresfur - Nov 30, 2020 - 8:26pm
 
Celebrity Face Recognition - ScottFromWyoming - Nov 30, 2020 - 8:10pm
 
Canada - R_P - Nov 30, 2020 - 7:27pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Red_Dragon - Nov 30, 2020 - 5:16pm
 
Protest Songs - rhahl - Nov 30, 2020 - 12:32pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Nov 30, 2020 - 10:16am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - Nov 30, 2020 - 10:02am
 
Democratic Party - cc_rider - Nov 30, 2020 - 8:24am
 
Need A Thread Killed? - sirdroseph - Nov 30, 2020 - 5:14am
 
Supreme Court Rulings - rhahl - Nov 29, 2020 - 4:47pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Red_Dragon - Nov 29, 2020 - 2:10pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Nov 29, 2020 - 1:30pm
 
Name My Band - haresfur - Nov 29, 2020 - 1:22pm
 
Wow so glad I found you. - BillG - Nov 29, 2020 - 8:28am
 
Questions. - miamizsun - Nov 29, 2020 - 7:12am
 
The Obituary Page - Red_Dragon - Nov 29, 2020 - 7:00am
 
Republican Party - Coaxial - Nov 29, 2020 - 5:47am
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Nov 29, 2020 - 4:46am
 
Let them eat kale - westslope - Nov 28, 2020 - 3:47pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - Nov 28, 2020 - 3:37pm
 
Happy Thanksgiving! - Red_Dragon - Nov 28, 2020 - 2:46pm
 
Iran - R_P - Nov 28, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
Cache manager - BillG - Nov 28, 2020 - 1:13pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - Steely_D - Nov 28, 2020 - 10:00am
 
I like cheese - Ohmsen - Nov 28, 2020 - 2:51am
 
♥ ♥ ♥ Vote For Pie ♥ ♥ ♥ - rhahl - Nov 28, 2020 - 2:07am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - rhahl - Nov 28, 2020 - 2:00am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Nov 27, 2020 - 8:07pm
 
Google Home - jarro - Nov 27, 2020 - 1:57pm
 
Jam! - rhahl - Nov 27, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Race in America - R_P - Nov 26, 2020 - 12:04pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - Antigone - Nov 26, 2020 - 11:28am
 
Outstanding Covers - Steely_D - Nov 26, 2020 - 10:22am
 
Next life I'm going to be a backup singer - Steely_D - Nov 26, 2020 - 10:12am
 
Alice's Restaurant - Angiea16 - Nov 26, 2020 - 9:24am
 
RP on Raspberry Pi - BillG - Nov 26, 2020 - 9:07am
 
A motivational quote - oldviolin - Nov 26, 2020 - 7:49am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Nov 26, 2020 - 7:47am
 
In My Room - oldviolin - Nov 26, 2020 - 7:38am
 
Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Massacree - oldviolin - Nov 26, 2020 - 7:09am
 
Unresearched Conspiracy Theories - Ohmsen - Nov 25, 2020 - 3:30pm
 
want to donate but only use the native internet currency ... - Ohmsen - Nov 25, 2020 - 2:35pm
 
The Best Commercials - Manbird - Nov 25, 2020 - 2:07pm
 
Blues Rock - Ohmsen - Nov 25, 2020 - 1:28pm
 
New Study Finds 'Most Narcissistic Generation' on Campuse... - haresfur - Nov 25, 2020 - 1:28pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - Isabeau - Nov 25, 2020 - 1:01pm
 
What are you listening to now? - Ohmsen - Nov 25, 2020 - 12:52pm
 
Sticky, Groovy 70s Tunes - Ohmsen - Nov 25, 2020 - 11:09am
 
Dear Retail Fashion Industry - Ohmsen - Nov 25, 2020 - 8:55am
 
RightWingNutZ - R_P - Nov 24, 2020 - 5:01pm
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Manbird - Nov 24, 2020 - 3:11pm
 
Donating with Bitcoin - why not? - BillG - Nov 24, 2020 - 2:32pm
 
New Music - chris13 - Nov 24, 2020 - 1:56pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - perruca - Nov 24, 2020 - 6:14am
 
Zappa - miamizsun - Nov 24, 2020 - 5:46am
 
Florida - miamizsun - Nov 24, 2020 - 4:53am
 
Oops! - Red_Dragon - Nov 23, 2020 - 3:58pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - miamizsun - Nov 23, 2020 - 2:15pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Nov 23, 2020 - 1:44pm
 
What are you doing RIGHT NOW? - haresfur - Nov 23, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
Name My Disease! - buddy - Nov 23, 2020 - 12:58pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Hot Dog... it's Summer! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post to this Topic
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 12:40pm

 Coaxial wrote:

Smear a little butter and ketchup in there and I'm in.{#Hungry}
 

we gone need some hot sauce too

Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles eas
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 7:57am

 Proclivities wrote:
 
Smear a little butter and ketchup in there and I'm in.{#Hungry}
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 7:40am


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 12:42pm



if you grill a hot dog you have got to try the spiral cut method
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 4:29pm



 Proclivities wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 
It's funny how sophisticated we are now... when TV was black and white, we'd see a tree and accept it as green, and a thick steak as looking delicious. My friend growing up had a color TV... but the color control was super twitchy so David Brinkley was always either green or magenta... and the family was fine with that. Literally did not see a problem unless someone turned the saturation down to make it gray, then they'd be pissed because they had a color TV dammit, put the color back! I'm sure as you flipped thru the black and white magazine and saw this, those hot dogs frankfurts just looked amazing.

 
Yeah, that's true - since at least the late '60s print ads have become much more realistic and natural looking.  I have ten or so issues of Life magazine from 1939-41; I think I got them in a thrift store.  Anyhow, every few pages there is a duo-tone ad, and they do look remarkable by comparison to the rest of the magazine - but better suited for cars or clothing with today's eyes.  One issue (Sept.1940) is pretty much a glowing endorsement of Wendell Wilkie with thinly-veiled criticism of FDR, some have women in what may have been considered "risque" swimsuits for the time, one has a photo of Joseph Goebbels and Hermann Göring on the cover.  

 

A friend had a prized copy of the Time magazine cover with Stalin as man of the year. But he was in black and white, not red and white.

eta: my parents refused to get Life magazine which was a pity because of the great photojournalism but I now understand why they took that stand
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 12:19pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 
It's funny how sophisticated we are now... when TV was black and white, we'd see a tree and accept it as green, and a thick steak as looking delicious. My friend growing up had a color TV... but the color control was super twitchy so David Brinkley was always either green or magenta... and the family was fine with that. Literally did not see a problem unless someone turned the saturation down to make it gray, then they'd be pissed because they had a color TV dammit, put the color back! I'm sure as you flipped thru the black and white magazine and saw this, those hot dogs frankfurts just looked amazing.

 
Yeah, that's true - since at least the late '60s print ads have become much more realistic and natural looking.  I have ten or so issues of Life magazine from 1939-41; I think I got them in a thrift store.  Anyhow, every few pages there is a duo-tone ad, and they do look remarkable by comparison to the rest of the magazine - but better suited for cars or clothing with today's eyes.  One issue (Sept.1940) is pretty much a glowing endorsement of Wendell Wilkie with thinly-veiled criticism of FDR, some have women in what may have been considered "risque" swimsuits for the time, one has a photo of Joseph Goebbels and Hermann Göring on the cover.  

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:47am



 Proclivities wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


those tomatoes look like some sort of meat product to me

something loaf?
 
Yeah, they could be some sort of "sausage loaf" thing - it's hard to tell.  I couldn't find a larger scan of that ad and enlarging the image doesn't help much (click image to scrutinize further):

 

I see the fine print says "Frankfurts with Savory Tomatoes" so a stuffed tomato in case a stuffed pepper is too exciting I guess.

Swift was all about the funky accompaniments:

Edit: This one's peach halves with melon balls.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:44am



 Proclivities wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:

 
Sweet merciful jesus what are those slices on the platter?

And "frankfurts"? What? 

 

I think those are tomato or apple slices; I guess advertisers didn't realize until much later on that duo-tone printing for photos of foodstuffs rarely resulted in an appetizing look.  Yeah - "frankfurts"?  I thought that maybe in 1940 some people regionally called theme "frankfurts", but I found no evidence of that; even in Germany they were called "frankfurters".  That name must've just been Swift's marketing/branding idea.

 
It's funny how sophisticated we are now... when TV was black and white, we'd see a tree and accept it as green, and a thick steak as looking delicious. My friend growing up had a color TV... but the color control was super twitchy so David Brinkley was always either green or magenta... and the family was fine with that. Literally did not see a problem unless someone turned the saturation down to make it gray, then they'd be pissed because they had a color TV dammit, put the color back! I'm sure as you flipped thru the black and white magazine and saw this, those hot dogs frankfurts just looked amazing.

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:40am



 miamizsun wrote:


those tomatoes look like some sort of meat product to me

something loaf?
 
Yeah, they could be some sort of "sausage loaf" thing - it's hard to tell.  I couldn't find a larger scan of that ad and enlarging the image doesn't help much (click image to scrutinize further):

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:30am

 Proclivities wrote:
I think those are tomato slices; I guess advertisers didn't realize until much later on that duo-tone printing for photos of foodstuffs was rarely an appetizing look.  Yeah - "frankfurts"?  I thought that maybe in 1940 some people regionally called theme "frankfurts", but I found no evidence of that; even in Germany they were called "frankfurters".  That name must've just been Swift's marketing/branding idea.
 

those tomatoes look like some sort of meat product to me

something loaf?
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 11:24am



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:

 
Sweet merciful jesus what are those slices on the platter?

And "frankfurts"? What? 

 

I think those are tomato or apple slices; I guess advertisers didn't realize until much later on that duo-tone printing for photos of foodstuffs rarely resulted in an appetizing look.  Yeah - "frankfurts"?  I thought that maybe in 1940 some people regionally called theme "frankfurts", but I found no evidence of that; even in Germany they were called "frankfurters".  That name must've just been Swift's marketing/branding idea.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 10:43am



 Proclivities wrote:

 
Sweet merciful jesus what are those slices on the platter?

And "frankfurts"? What? 

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 8:51am


LowPhreak

LowPhreak Avatar

Location: Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murikka, Inc.
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 7:01pm

This is what Dirty Harry thinks about ketchup on hot dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz84GKxy7b0


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 1:55pm

 haresfur wrote:

We usually get our snags (aka sausages) still attached to each other with the intestine twisted between them.

 
That's how kielbasa or Italian sausage usually was sold by the local butchers when I was in NY.  It probably still would be if one goes to a butcher shop in most places I guess.  The Whole Foods I used to work in sold the ones they made locally that way too.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 1:44pm

 Proclivities wrote:
puppet franks
A recipe called "Puppet Franks," involving threading the wieners on a cord before cooking, offering scissors to the guests to "clip off" their wiener as you serve them on the hanger. From the Better Homes & Garden Barbecue Book 1959, pg 77.



 
We usually get our snags (aka sausages) still attached to each other with the intestine twisted between them.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 1:19pm

 Proclivities wrote:
puppet franks
A recipe called "Puppet Franks," involving threading the wieners on a cord before cooking, offering scissors to the guests to "clip off" their wiener as you serve them on the hanger. From the Better Homes & Garden Barbecue Book 1959, pg 77.



 
Dammit, I have a story to go along with this but stupid work, I was trying to multitask and wound up closing the window I was typing in. Maybe tonite I'll really embellish polish it instead of just slapping it out.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 8, 2018 - 12:11pm

puppet franks
A recipe called "Puppet Franks," involving threading the wieners on a cord before cooking, offering scissors to the guests to "clip off" their wiener as you serve them on the hanger. From the Better Homes & Garden Barbecue Book 1959, pg 77.


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 31, 2012 - 12:14pm

condiment
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Aug 10, 2012 - 7:39am

Yes, I've seen it! It's in my bellah!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next