[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

RP Streaming Keeps Stopping - jarro - Aug 5, 2020 - 2:41am
 
COVID-19 - sirdroseph - Aug 5, 2020 - 2:21am
 
Breaking News - haresfur - Aug 4, 2020 - 7:45pm
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - Steely_D - Aug 4, 2020 - 7:03pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - westslope - Aug 4, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
Name My Band - buddy - Aug 4, 2020 - 4:34pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - Antigone - Aug 4, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
Trump - R_P - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:55pm
 
RightWingNutZ - kcar - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:19pm
 
Band Suggestion - toddpthayer - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:13pm
 
Neil Young - buddy - Aug 4, 2020 - 1:01pm
 
China - R_P - Aug 4, 2020 - 11:46am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - Coaxial - Aug 4, 2020 - 10:10am
 
NASA & other news from space - miamizsun - Aug 4, 2020 - 9:14am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Prodigal_SOB - Aug 4, 2020 - 8:05am
 
People who never came to Gilligan's Island - Proclivities - Aug 4, 2020 - 8:02am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Steely_D - Aug 4, 2020 - 6:35am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Aug 4, 2020 - 5:35am
 
Economix - rexi - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:32am
 
A little smooth jazz never hurt anyone - rhahl - Aug 3, 2020 - 2:21pm
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Aug 3, 2020 - 2:10pm
 
Better Together - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 1:22pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - the_jake - Aug 3, 2020 - 11:55am
 
Celebrity Deaths - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2020 - 11:49am
 
Reccomended System or Powered Speakers - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 10:42am
 
BACK TO THE 80's - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 9:40am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2020 - 9:01am
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2020 - 8:59am
 
BillyGee's Greatest Segues - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 3, 2020 - 8:43am
 
Florida - kcar - Aug 2, 2020 - 11:43pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - R_P - Aug 2, 2020 - 8:46pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Antigone - Aug 2, 2020 - 4:42pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Antigone - Aug 2, 2020 - 2:46pm
 
Republican Party - westslope - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
Hot Dog... it's Summer! - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:42pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 11:41am
 
Little Feat tour - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 9:51am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2020 - 9:10am
 
TV shows you watch - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 8:59am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - norbertZ - Aug 2, 2020 - 5:58am
 
Fire TV App - Lyrics, Comments, Wiki, Play history - MarcsRadio - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:32am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - BlueHeronDruid - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:51pm
 
Outstanding Covers - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:41pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 5:42pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Isabeau - Aug 1, 2020 - 5:37pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - edz - Aug 1, 2020 - 4:40pm
 
What are you listening to now? - hobiejoe - Aug 1, 2020 - 2:38pm
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 12:49pm
 
Evolution! - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 12:14pm
 
Democratic Party - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2020 - 12:12pm
 
How are you coping/dealing with the crisis? - marko86 - Aug 1, 2020 - 11:03am
 
How's the weather? - Proclivities - Aug 1, 2020 - 10:40am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Aug 1, 2020 - 10:23am
 
Favorite Quotes - ScottN - Aug 1, 2020 - 10:22am
 
RP stops playing after a few minutes on Samsung Smart TV ... - MarcsRadio - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:28am
 
Misogynistic Attitudes Toward Women - Isabeau - Aug 1, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Questions. - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2020 - 7:43am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Aug 1, 2020 - 6:22am
 
A little bit of help testing the iOS app is needed... - Ohmsen - Aug 1, 2020 - 5:09am
 
Floyd forum - Ohmsen - Aug 1, 2020 - 4:49am
 
What Did You See Today? - sirdroseph - Aug 1, 2020 - 4:25am
 
Trump Lies - Steely_D - Jul 31, 2020 - 6:07pm
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - R_P - Jul 31, 2020 - 1:06pm
 
Love & Hate - Red_Dragon - Jul 31, 2020 - 9:59am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - Proclivities - Jul 31, 2020 - 7:16am
 
Mars Exploration Rover Mission Status - R_P - Jul 30, 2020 - 10:53pm
 
Automotive Lust - islander - Jul 30, 2020 - 6:58pm
 
Google Home - apsteinmetz - Jul 30, 2020 - 12:55pm
 
Make Scott laugh - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 30, 2020 - 10:44am
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - miamizsun - Jul 30, 2020 - 9:35am
 
Regarding cats - sirdroseph - Jul 30, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Movie Recommendation - KarmaKarma - Jul 29, 2020 - 9:26pm
 
Bolivia - westslope - Jul 29, 2020 - 1:52pm
 
A bit of light. - Proclivities - Jul 29, 2020 - 12:39pm
 
Republican Wingnut Freak of the Day - Red_Dragon - Jul 29, 2020 - 5:11am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Trump Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 874, 875, 876  Next
Post to this Topic
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 3:28pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:
 
Woof you made me go to twitter. I may not recover.
 
edit: Here's a better summary.
 


Woof you made me go to twitter The Cato Institute. I may not recover.
hayduke2

hayduke2 Avatar

Location: Southampton, NY
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 3:12pm

Russian Media Is Giddy at Chaos in the USA, Claims ‘America’s Dying’

Boris and Natasha advise POTUS | Arnold Zwicky's Blog
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 11:28am



 miamizsun wrote:


depending on the election i vote in person at a local retirement community club house

i don't see the why i'd chance bringing some nasty to grandma
 
So I think the is a tremendous opportunity to change the election process.  

We should get local colleges to send pollsters and support the opening of as many sites as possible.  Keep at least 1 adult in the room....but if they're old enough to vote, then they're old enough to check ID's and collect signatures without the risk that older folks have with the virus.  

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 11:20am

 rgio wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
 
Agree.

It's amusing to consider the "logic" from POTUS.  Mailing in an absentee ballot that can travel halfway around the world is safe and good (I've done it a lot)...versus mailing in a ballot from down the street is corrupt and unfair.  WTF

 

depending on the election i vote in person at a local retirement community club house

i don't see the why i'd chance bringing some nasty to grandma
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 11:16am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
 
Woof you made me go to twitter. I may not recover.
 
edit: Here's a better summary.
 

i'm going use a mail in ballot too

because not scared
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 10:52am



 miamizsun wrote:
 
Agree.

It's amusing to consider the "logic" from POTUS.  Mailing in an absentee ballot that can travel halfway around the world is safe and good (I've done it a lot)...versus mailing in a ballot from down the street is corrupt and unfair.  WTF

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 10:10am



 miamizsun wrote:
 
Woof you made me go to twitter. I may not recover.
 
edit: Here's a better summary.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 10:10am

#TrumpMeltdown
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 10:02am

 black321 wrote:
Is it going to get even uglier?

The 45th president of the U.S. tweeted on Thursday: "With universal mail-in voting (not absentee voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most inaccurate & fraudulent election in history. It will be great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??"
 

we will have an election on nov 3rd
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 9:51am



 haresfur wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:


 rgio wrote:
The Biden 2020 campaign should be buying airtime to televise the COVID briefings.  Yesterday was another train wreck where Donnie picked up his ball and ran off stage when the questions got too logical for him.

The Republicans are now crying "first amendment" and "censorship" regarding the Presidential (and son) retweets on Monday in support of Hydroxychloroquine.  The timeline:

- 12 days ago the URL is registered by a group called "America's Frontline Doctors".  It's funded by a Republican super-pac.
- On Monday, they hold a "Hydroxychloroquine works wonders" press conference.  The list of speakers and their ties to the right is detailed here.  
- Yesterday, POTUS goes back after Hydroxychloroquine AGAIN as a savior in the Press briefing, this time talking about the impressive doctors who came out in favor of it the other day.
- When asked questions about one woman (who beyond suggesting drugs for C19 also believes a conspiracy theory that world leaders are secretly lizards who are dressed up in human suits), he then said he doesn't know anything about the woman (who he was just touting as an expert).

How much do you have to hate the liberal ideology to ignore all rational thought and logic to support the Donald's re-election?  Growing up we used to watch propaganda from the Nazi's and Russians and say "why would anyone fall for that"?   Now, we have Tea Party people standing up in lab coats, making false claims, and being supported by the President in direct contrast to his own medical advisors?

 

Quick search found the quote:
"Newspaper reporter and essayist H. L. Mencken once wrote, “Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.” In other words, it is ultimately those who own the newspapers and media outlets who determine what information gets published."

The media has ALWAYS censored content. It's called 'editing'. Twitter is a company, not the town square. It's no different from a newspaper or radio station - they have editors and program directors who control what goes out. Don't like it? Don't use it. Or get your own.
c.
 
Twitter is different from a newspaper or radio station. They cannot be held liable for the statements of others on their platform, under US law. They do not have editors and program directors who control what goes out in anyway similar to the editorial and reporting process in newspapers. They can, however, define and enforce rules for what is acceptable for people to put on their platform.

 
That was my point. The owners of the 'press' decide what gets printed on it. The people who monitor the content are not called 'editors' or 'program directors', but they do control what the company considers acceptable. Liability is a different issue - those laws may be revisited at some point, given how influential social media is anymore.
c.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 9:44am

 steeler wrote:
 black321 wrote:
Is it going to get even uglier?

The 45th president of the U.S. tweeted on Thursday: "With universal mail-in voting (not absentee voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most inaccurate & fraudulent election in history. It will be great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote?"
 
Foreboding.

He knows he needs to buy time.

He will not succeed in postponing the election. He has no authority to do so . He will do everything he can to label the election as “rigged.” Rigged against him, of course. Funny how he and his supporters assume not only that mail-in voting will result in massive fraud but that all this fraud will be in favor of Biden and the Democrats and against he and the Republicans. Of course, Trump bellowed that the 2016 GOP primaries were rigged against him. He won. And he bellowed that the general election was rigged against him. He won. Must have been a poor job of rigging in both instances, I guess.

It will be ugly up till the election and then uglier afterwards. If he loses, Trump will be screaming about the election having been rigged. Of one thing I think we can be sure, he will not go quietly into that good night. For him, it has always been, and always will be, Trump First. I shudder to think of the damage he could cause in those last 2 1/2 months.
 
Prepare the leaf blower! 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 7:30am

 Proclivities wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:
True, though Mencken was probably also being somewhat cynical about the undue influence and power of certain publishers in his day.  As you know, the First Amendment prohibits the government (Congress) from making laws "abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press", not private-sector publishers or distributors.  I'm not sure why so many people seem to be unaware of that.  There must be a large intersection between those people and people who think that exporters pay tariffs, not importers >>> consumers.  Twitter and Facebook are not branches of the government, and they are not the only "town squares".
 
What? Mencken, cynical? The devil you say!
c.

 

 

"news is whatever the editors say it is"

-some guy
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 6:49am



 black321 wrote:
Is it going to get even uglier?

The 45th president of the U.S. tweeted on Thursday: "With universal mail-in voting (not absentee voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most inaccurate & fraudulent election in history. It will be great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote?"
 
Foreboding.

He knows he needs to buy time.

He will not succeed in postponing the election. He has no authority to do so . He will do everything he can to label the election as “rigged.” Rigged against him, of course. Funny how he and his supporters assume not only that mail-in voting will result in massive fraud but that all this fraud will be in favor of Biden and the Democrats and against he and the Republicans. Of course, Trump bellowed that the 2016 GOP primaries were rigged against him. He won. And he bellowed that the general election was rigged against him. He won. Must have been a poor job of rigging in both instances, I guess.

It will be ugly up till the election and then uglier afterwards. If he loses, Trump will be screaming about the election having been rigged. Of one thing I think we can be sure, he will not go quietly into that good night. For him, it has always been, and always will be, Trump First. I shudder to think of the damage he could cause in those last 2 1/2 months. 



black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 6:26am

Is it going to get even uglier?

The 45th president of the U.S. tweeted on Thursday: "With universal mail-in voting (not absentee voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most inaccurate & fraudulent election in history. It will be great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??"
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 29, 2020 - 4:57pm



 cc_rider wrote:


 rgio wrote:
The Biden 2020 campaign should be buying airtime to televise the COVID briefings.  Yesterday was another train wreck where Donnie picked up his ball and ran off stage when the questions got too logical for him.

The Republicans are now crying "first amendment" and "censorship" regarding the Presidential (and son) retweets on Monday in support of Hydroxychloroquine.  The timeline:

- 12 days ago the URL is registered by a group called "America's Frontline Doctors".  It's funded by a Republican super-pac.
- On Monday, they hold a "Hydroxychloroquine works wonders" press conference.  The list of speakers and their ties to the right is detailed here.  
- Yesterday, POTUS goes back after Hydroxychloroquine AGAIN as a savior in the Press briefing, this time talking about the impressive doctors who came out in favor of it the other day.
- When asked questions about one woman (who beyond suggesting drugs for C19 also believes a conspiracy theory that world leaders are secretly lizards who are dressed up in human suits), he then said he doesn't know anything about the woman (who he was just touting as an expert).

How much do you have to hate the liberal ideology to ignore all rational thought and logic to support the Donald's re-election?  Growing up we used to watch propaganda from the Nazi's and Russians and say "why would anyone fall for that"?   Now, we have Tea Party people standing up in lab coats, making false claims, and being supported by the President in direct contrast to his own medical advisors?

 

Quick search found the quote:
"Newspaper reporter and essayist H. L. Mencken once wrote, “Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.” In other words, it is ultimately those who own the newspapers and media outlets who determine what information gets published."

The media has ALWAYS censored content. It's called 'editing'. Twitter is a company, not the town square. It's no different from a newspaper or radio station - they have editors and program directors who control what goes out. Don't like it? Don't use it. Or get your own.
c.
 
Twitter is different from a newspaper or radio station. They cannot be held liable for the statements of others on their platform, under US law. They do not have editors and program directors who control what goes out in anyway similar to the editorial and reporting process in newspapers. They can, however, define and enforce rules for what is acceptable for people to put on their platform.

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 29, 2020 - 10:49am



 cc_rider wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:
True, though Mencken was probably also being somewhat cynical about the undue influence and power of certain publishers in his day.  As you know, the First Amendment prohibits the government (Congress) from making laws "abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press", not private-sector publishers or distributors.  I'm not sure why so many people seem to be unaware of that.  There must be a large intersection between those people and people who think that exporters pay tariffs, not importers >>> consumers.  Twitter and Facebook are not branches of the government, and they are not the only "town squares".
 
What? Mencken, cynical? The devil you say!
c.

 



cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 29, 2020 - 9:46am



 Proclivities wrote:
 cc_rider wrote:
 Quick search found the quote:
"Newspaper reporter and essayist H. L. Mencken once wrote, “Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.” In other words, it is ultimately those who own the newspapers and media outlets who determine what information gets published."

The media has ALWAYS censored content. It's called 'editing'. Twitter is a company, not the town square. It's no different from a newspaper or radio station - they have editors and program directors who control what goes out. Don't like it? Don't use it. Or get your own.
c.
 
True, though Mencken was probably also being somewhat cynical about the undue influence and power of certain publishers in his day.  As you know, the First Amendment prohibits the government (Congress) from making laws "abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press", not private-sector publishers or distributors.  I'm not sure why so many people seem to be unaware of that.  There must be a large intersection between those people and people who think that exporters pay tariffs, not importers >>> consumers.  Twitter and Facebook are not branches of the government, and they are not the only "town squares".
 
What? Mencken, cynical? The devil you say!
c.

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 29, 2020 - 8:31am

 cc_rider wrote:
 Quick search found the quote:
"Newspaper reporter and essayist H. L. Mencken once wrote, “Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.” In other words, it is ultimately those who own the newspapers and media outlets who determine what information gets published."

The media has ALWAYS censored content. It's called 'editing'. Twitter is a company, not the town square. It's no different from a newspaper or radio station - they have editors and program directors who control what goes out. Don't like it? Don't use it. Or get your own.
c.
 
True, though Mencken was probably also being somewhat cynical about the undue influence and power of certain publishers in his day.  As you know, the First Amendment prohibits the government (Congress) from making laws "abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press", not private-sector publishers or distributors.  I'm not sure why so many people seem to be unaware of that.  There must be a large intersection between those people and people who think that exporters pay tariffs, not importers >>> consumers.  Twitter and Facebook are not branches of the government, and they are not the only "town squares".
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 29, 2020 - 8:30am



 rgio wrote:
......
How much do you have to hate the liberal ideology to ignore all rational thought and logic to support the Donald's re-election?  Growing up we used to watch propaganda from the Nazi's and Russians and say "why would anyone fall for that"?   Now, we have Tea Party people standing up in lab coats, making false claims, and being supported by the President in direct contrast to his own medical advisors?

 
I recall folks in the late 60s and early 70s wondering out loud about the potential for fascism in the USA.   Nobody assumed that the USA would go 'communist'. 

At the time, I dismissed the 'fascist' speculation as part of the political noise that characterized that tumultuous period.  Little did I know.....

Later on in life, I was introduced to this concept of hegemony and the rise and fall of empires.   Most of the literature was written by Neo-Marxist scholars and other structuralists.   I am not a fan of the structuralist approach but it can provide a view of the forest while most of us tend to get stuck on closely examining trees.  The decline of US hegemony was not in question, it was just a question of time.  The set of circumstances coming out of WW II that advantaged the USA so much would not last forever.

Folks never once thought or speculated that the USA would decline in quite this manner.     Thinking people of the rational choice approach fully expected rent seeking to act as a drag on wealth and economic growth but nothing quite like this.   Though President Trump is an aggressive rent seeker extraordinaire.   It is curious that so many Trump supporters are reacting to welfare state generosity directed largely at non-white minorities .  

Frankly, the fall of the USA is stunning.  For most of the 20th century, the US economy, in the particular, the US labour market adapted quickly to technology-driven economic change.   Now it appears that much of the USA is still adapting quickly but large pockets  —  a significant minority — are being left behind.    Once upon a time, frustrated workers of European origin would drown themselves in alcohol.  These days, they overdose on opioids.  

I have no idea where the USA goes from here.  As usual, the Democrats fail to inspire.  This is a real problem for other rich western nations that in the post-war period have looked to the USA for leadership and support.   Perhaps Canada will conduct military exercises with the Chinese in 30 years from now.  If that ever comes to pass, Americans will have nobody to blame but themselves.  

Sad really.  We in the rich west had a really good thing going here for over half a century.  



Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jul 29, 2020 - 8:09am

demon sperm...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 874, 875, 876  Next