[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

260,000 Posts in one thread? - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2020 - 9:20pm
 
Trump - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 6:51pm
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:22pm
 
Name My Band - Kajukenbo - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:16pm
 
Florida - westslope - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:03pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - Aug 7, 2020 - 4:22pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 4:20pm
 
Poetry Forum - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 4:18pm
 
Private messages in a public forum - kcar - Aug 7, 2020 - 4:02pm
 
Breaking News - kcar - Aug 7, 2020 - 3:39pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 3:00pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
New Music - buddy - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
HELP! Sound Cutting out problem - michael16 - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
A little smooth jazz never hurt anyone - rhahl - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:51pm
 
2020 Elections - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:02pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 12:39pm
 
It seemed like a good idea at the time - Proclivities - Aug 7, 2020 - 11:54am
 
Race in America - R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 10:32am
 
songs that ROCK! - sirdroseph - Aug 7, 2020 - 10:02am
 
What did you have for lunch? - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:55am
 
American Justice - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:40am
 
Music Videos - black321 - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:30am
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - Coaxial - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:30am
 
New Song Submissions system - Hastur_T - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:12am
 
Republican Party - Proclivities - Aug 7, 2020 - 6:33am
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:57am
 
Your favorite artist - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:44am
 
Reinstock '05 Link Repository - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:38am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:38am
 
China - R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 9:01pm
 
True Confessions - oldviolin - Aug 6, 2020 - 7:42pm
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 7:41pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34pm
 
TV shows you watch - westslope - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:44pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - rgio - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:25pm
 
Offset between Music and Song/Interpret Text, Silence... - nicolas65 - Aug 6, 2020 - 11:23am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - nicolas65 - Aug 6, 2020 - 10:18am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Aug 6, 2020 - 10:03am
 
Artists You Miss - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Aug 6, 2020 - 8:30am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Aug 6, 2020 - 7:53am
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - Proclivities - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34am
 
Yellowstone is in Wyoming Meetup • Aug. 11 2007 • YEA... - sunybuny - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:31am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:14am
 
Outstanding Covers - miamizsun - Aug 6, 2020 - 4:42am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Steely_D - Aug 5, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
Capital Punishment - R_P - Aug 5, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Aug 5, 2020 - 3:48pm
 
Better Together - MarcsRadio - Aug 5, 2020 - 1:13pm
 
Auto-skip songs I rate poorly - MrPeebles - Aug 5, 2020 - 10:12am
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - KarmaKarma - Aug 5, 2020 - 10:09am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - R_P - Aug 5, 2020 - 9:58am
 
Little known information...maybe even facts - miamizsun - Aug 5, 2020 - 9:24am
 
Two Things - oldviolin - Aug 5, 2020 - 7:18am
 
NASA & other news from space - Coaxial - Aug 5, 2020 - 4:45am
 
RP Streaming Keeps Stopping - jarro - Aug 5, 2020 - 2:41am
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - westslope - Aug 4, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
• • • What Makes You Happy? • • •  - Antigone - Aug 4, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
RightWingNutZ - kcar - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:19pm
 
Band Suggestion - toddpthayer - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:13pm
 
Neil Young - buddy - Aug 4, 2020 - 1:01pm
 
People who never came to Gilligan's Island - Proclivities - Aug 4, 2020 - 8:02am
 
Economix - rexi - Aug 4, 2020 - 2:32am
 
Celebrity Deaths - Proclivities - Aug 3, 2020 - 11:49am
 
Reccomended System or Powered Speakers - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 10:42am
 
BACK TO THE 80's - Ohmsen - Aug 3, 2020 - 9:40am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2020 - 9:01am
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - oldviolin - Aug 3, 2020 - 8:59am
 
BillyGee's Greatest Segues - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 3, 2020 - 8:43am
 
Those Lovable Policemen - R_P - Aug 2, 2020 - 8:46pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Antigone - Aug 2, 2020 - 4:42pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Antigone - Aug 2, 2020 - 2:46pm
 
Hot Dog... it's Summer! - miamizsun - Aug 2, 2020 - 12:42pm
 
Little Feat tour - Ohmsen - Aug 2, 2020 - 9:51am
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Post to this Topic
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 2:35pm



 rgio wrote:


 buddy wrote:


 kurtster wrote:

There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
 
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

 
Tax is a combination of taxable base and rate.  The income tax rate is what started this conversation, and is the easy data element to compare.  The taxable base is much more complicated.  If you at the combination since the 50's, the costs to the top tier are down, but only (not meant as a judgment) 5%-10%.  

The problem with the focus of the chart is that it ignores the "other" taxes now collected.  Income taxes are only about one-third of the total revenue that governments receive.  Social taxes, business taxes, and value-added taxes (sales tax, real estate tax, gas taxes, vice taxes (cigarettes & alcohol), tariffs) make up the rest.  These taxes are generally at flat rates, which have gone up dramatically over the years.  

The percentage of personal income that goes toward all taxes has increased dramatically more for lower-income families than it has for the top half of Americans.  Looking at a few rates doesn't tell the story.  

There is no doubt the rules are tilted in favor of the wealthy.  In NJ for example, every fast food meal is taxed at 6.625%.  Meanwhile, NJ has a limit of $20k of tax on a yacht.  Go buy yourself a $500k boat, and it'll cost you $20k instead of the $33k it would cost buying happy meals.  The house down the street from me saves tens of thousands of dollars per year in taxes because he claims "farm rates" on his 40 acres by selling $200 worth of wood per year to someone.   

Anyone suggesting tax policy has evenly apportioned the US cost increases since the 1950's is either ignorant or dishonest.  
 


rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 9:29am



 buddy wrote:


 kurtster wrote:

There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
 
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

 
Tax is a combination of taxable base and rate.  The income tax rate is what started this conversation, and is the easy data element to compare.  The taxable base is much more complicated.  If you at the combination since the 50's, the costs to the top tier are down, but only (not meant as a judgment) 5%-10%.  

The problem with the focus of the chart is that it ignores the "other" taxes now collected.  Income taxes are only about one-third of the total revenue that governments receive.  Social taxes, business taxes, and value-added taxes (sales tax, real estate tax, gas taxes, vice taxes (cigarettes & alcohol), tariffs) make up the rest.  These taxes are generally at flat rates, which have gone up dramatically over the years.  

The percentage of personal income that goes toward all taxes has increased dramatically more for lower-income families than it has for the top half of Americans.  Looking at a few rates doesn't tell the story.  

There is no doubt the rules are tilted in favor of the wealthy.  In NJ for example, every fast food meal is taxed at 6.625%.  Meanwhile, NJ has a limit of $20k of tax on a yacht.  Go buy yourself a $500k boat, and it'll cost you $20k instead of the $33k it would cost buying happy meals.  The house down the street from me saves tens of thousands of dollars per year in taxes because he claims "farm rates" on his 40 acres by selling $200 worth of wood per year to someone.   

Anyone suggesting tax policy has evenly apportioned the US cost increases since the 1950's is either ignorant or dishonest.  
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 9:09am

buddy wrote:
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

It's a simple statement of fact. It's true or it's not, doesn't matter where you read it.

I don't have a WSJ subscription so I had to read the article on Phil Magness' web site. His methodology is clear and his criticism is straightforward and easy to follow. His article fits in the classical tradition of intellectual inquiry: someone makes a claim, someone else challenges it, data is produced, data is criticized, multiple minds examine the problem and we get closer to the truth.

In this case it appears that the original author cherry-picked data to reach the conclusion he wanted and other economists called him on it. That (original) conclusion appeals to you, but that doesn't make it true or the analysis honest.

That news came to you (and RP) via a vector you (and RP) dismiss out of hand, apparently without examining. This ought to be a lesson to you: your biases have kept you believing something false. Not an unusual situation on the topic of taxation; misinformation abounds, and ideology often trumps data in what people believe.  When a conclusion matches your prejudices it's all the more reason to examine that conclusion.
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 8:04am



 kurtster wrote:

There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
 
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2020 - 7:51pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
Debunked.  In the comments you did not read.  Try again.
 
A comment you cherry-picked (must have had some special appeal to a supposed "poor person" or maybe it was just the first comment that disagreed) proves it's debunked by "serious economists?" Hardly.
 
There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: May 23, 2020 - 11:34am

 kurtster wrote:
Debunked.  In the comments you did not read.  Try again.
 
A comment you cherry-picked (must have had some special appeal to a supposed "poor person" or maybe it was just the first comment that disagreed) proves it's debunked by "serious economists?" Hardly.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2020 - 8:38am

 Red_Dragon wrote: 

Debunked.  In the comments you did not read.  Try again.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2020 - 7:16am



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

IS IT TRICKLING DOWN YET? 

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: May 23, 2020 - 6:15am

This is messed up.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 4:26pm

 steeler wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 
 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
 
I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.


 
Get the same message for both of us.  Filed for 2018 but not 2019 yet so the 2018 will keep us in the loop.

Who knows how it works.  We both have west coast SSN's that start with 5 and the last name starts with W.  Low numbers first, alphabetical first ?  You got me.

My bank has a page with the IRS link on it and says that going forward the payments will be issued on Wednesdays.

Still waiting for my unemployment to get processed, too.
BlueHeronDruid

BlueHeronDruid Avatar

Location: planting flowers


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 10:34am



 rgio wrote:
 
Standard SOP for new, smaller government under Trump:  Ready, Fire, Aim.

Stimulus should be sent to people who have lost their ability to earn in 2020.  I won't qualify for a payment even though I've been looking for a job for over a year.  My 2019 taxes aren't filed because I've been fighting an error-filled W-2 from a past employer that was finally resolved Wednesday night.

My daughter, who at 24 makes less than the single threshold by less than $1,000 (thanks to significant 401(k) contributions and stock options), is getting a check.  Her startup is actually thriving in this, and her job hasn't been impacted at all by this.  She doesn't deserve / need help...but help is on the way.

The money should have gone to the 20-30 million people now collecting unemployment.  No unemployment filing...no money.
 
Agreed. We got our "stimulus" money on the 15th, and we certainly didn't need it. Passed it on to dear friends who are up the creek with no paddle. Not sure if they'll get anything from the Treasury for the same reason as you.

Upped our Food Bank donation too. At least our community can make sure everyone is fed.

rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 8:31am



 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days and today to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 
 
Standard SOP for new, smaller government under Trump:  Ready, Fire, Aim.

Stimulus should be sent to people who have lost their ability to earn in 2020.  I won't qualify for a payment even though I've been looking for a job for over a year.  My 2019 taxes aren't filed because I've been fighting an error-filled W-2 from a past employer that was finally resolved Wednesday night.

My daughter, who at 24 makes less than the single threshold by less than $1,000 (thanks to significant 401(k) contributions and stock options), is getting a check.  Her startup is actually thriving in this, and her job hasn't been impacted at all by this.  She doesn't deserve / need help...but help is on the way.

The money should have gone to the 20-30 million people now collecting unemployment.  No unemployment filing...no money.
islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 7:50am



 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:



I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.




 

maybe go back to the beginning

scrub your browser and grab your 2018 return ('m thinking they ask for agi) and your check book

try an off time

and see if there is any software conflict

i'd normally say give them a call but they're way underwater

has anyone from the irs revealed their plan for implementing these payments

by ss number, income, etc.?




 

Probably by voting record, Loyalist first, high potential swing voters next, everyone else eventually, maybe. 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 7:06am



 steeler wrote:



I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.




 

maybe go back to the beginning

scrub your browser and grab your 2018 return ('m thinking they ask for agi) and your check book

try an off time

and see if there is any software conflict

i'd normally say give them a call but they're way underwater

has anyone from the irs revealed their plan for implementing these payments

by ss number, income, etc.?




steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:54am



 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 

 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
 
I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.




sunybuny

sunybuny Avatar

Location: The West & Best Coast of FLA
Gender: Female


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:54am

Ours arrived on Wednesday into the acc9ount we use for refunds. Nice to pay some big emergency bills.

 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 

 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
 


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:42am



 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 

 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:03am

Tried the past 2 days and today to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 11, 2020 - 11:16am

I'm a 6%er for this discussion....my taxes went up due to the limit on state and local tax deductions.

This is yet another example of Dems doing a totally crap job of defending their own policies and pointing out hypocrisy. 

When was the last time you heard a Republican praise increasing the minimum wage?  On January 1, 2020,  22 states and an equal number of cities had mandatory increases to minimum wage.  In 2018, 58.5 percent of all salaries in the US were for wage and salary workers.  Most of these measures were voted on during Obama's second term.  Washington state, for example, increased the minimum wage $1.50 last month (to $13.50 / a 12.5% raise), with the final increase to $15 coming next year.

The short term euphoria of the tax cuts was provided by a reduction in the withholding rates.  Those benefits are long gone.  In 2018 companies set a record with over $1 trillion in stock buy-backs.  That provided record dividends and an artificial increase in the markets.    Also important, all of the growth targets assumed by the White House have proven wishful thinking.  Look at the budget proposal yesterday...it assumes constant growth for the next 15 years well above the past 3-year performance of the "greatest economy in the history of the world".    None of the statements made by Trump regarding finances should be trusted...at least not until we see his tax returns.

While I'm at it....

The US unemployment rate in January 2010 was 9.8%.  When Trump took office, it was 4.7%.  It's now 3.6%.  The unemployment rate isn't a great indicator of resource utilization, but the realities of labor utilization are too complicated for most to care about.  The bottom line is that people don't "feel" better about employment...but simple metrics don't catch that.
black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 11, 2020 - 9:19am

I'm in the little to no change camp.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next